Chapter Thirty-Three

July 4th 2001

"Kinsey, what is taking you so long to get ready?" Mama asks as she pops into my room.

"Almost ready, Mama. I'll be down in five," I promise her. She gives me a curious look but leaves, and I lean forward to finish my makeup.

I usually don't fret too much over my outfits with Olly. He doesn't notice much unless I'm showing a lot of skin, but today, we have a special plan, a very sexy secret plan. 

I settled on the red and white summer dress I wore on New Year's Day. I like the nostalgic idea of it. I wore it when we officially became a couple on New Year's Day, and now I'll wear it on this extra special day.

Mama got me on the pill at the beginning of summer, but Olly, but I took our time but over the last few weeks, we started planning when and how we could do it, and soon it was we could think about. 

I'm the sober cab for my parents tonight at the town party. Chris and David will be like the other parents, drunk and oblivious. We'll mingle, be seen, and then sneak off. Skipping the whole thing to drive my dad's truck back to the farm, where we'll spend the day and evening making our own fireworks. In the barn, our special spot. 

 I'll then go back to town, pick my drunk parents up, and, once they pass out, meet Olly back in the barn again.

It's literally the perfect plan. It's nice to have a genius for a boyfriend.

***

I'm full of nervous energy when we arrive at the town party. I park my dad's truck in a spot sort of tucked away. It's not like they'd return to the parking lot to check for it, but we can't be too careful about this.

I have my eyes peeled for Olly as we walk along.

"We're going to go get drinks," Dad says. "Meet us back here 'round midnight or so to take us home."

"Will do! Have fun!" I give him a quick hug, and then Mama next.

I almost talked to her last night but ultimately chose not to. She said she didn't expect me to come talk to her again when the time came but that I could. The more I thought about it, the more I want it to be just ours, right now, me and Olly. No one else needs to know.

"Hi, Kinz!" I look over to a smiling Brandi with Wade by her side.

I'm stunned he takes her out in public. None of us thought he ever would. I'm assuming that was what one of their many breakups was about because, after the most recent one, they suddenly go out places now.

She's on cloud nine when they're good and in the literal gutter when they're not. She leans on both me and Olly a lot during the off times. They've been "on" for a while, and I'm waiting for the shoe to drop again.

"Hi! Happy Fourth!" I greet her with a quick hug.

"Hey, Kid," Wade drawls out with his annoying smile. "Where's your little nerd boy?"

"Don't call him that!" I snap irritably, and Wade just chuckles.

"So uptight this one," Wade comments. "I got something that'll loosen you up if you want."

"I'm good," I said cooly.

"Your loss." He looks at Brandi, tugging her towards him. "Come on, Babygirl, let's find a piece of beach."

"Later, Kinz." She shoots me a look as they walk off. She'll yell at me later for being standoffish, I'm sure. So annoying.

"Boo!" I yelp as Olly comes up behind me.