Chapter Fifty

"Come on," Oliver is leading me back out through the alley, both of us finally done crying. As we head back around, I see a huge staircase going up right on the corner.

"Did I walk right by this?" I look at it and see a sizable balcony.

"Yeah, I have no idea how you missed this," Oliver confirms.

"Are you sure this was always here?"

He lets out a short laugh, but it's slightly hollow. I know he's hurting, but he's trying to act like he's good.

"Erin! I found her. She was at the Hideaway!" Oliver yells up the stairs, and the brunette comes to stand at the top of the stairs and looks down at us.

Oh, jeez, he had help looking for me? Was I gone that long? I wonder if he had Erin set up that balcony like Kelsey did for Gabe... I'd feel even more terrible if that's the case.

"Oh good! Kinsey, I'm sorry. I should've just told you to go inside and had them show you up here," Erin calls down.

"You're fine. I just missed it," I tell her, my cheeks flush red with embarrassment. I bet inside, she's laughing at what a moron I am.

"Well, get up here, you two. They're making fresh appetizers. Vin, Josh, and Sadie are all here now, too!"

Wait huh? Who?

"Change of plans, Erin. Kinsey's got to leave. I'm going to bring her to the airport, but I'll be back to join you all soon, okay?"

"I was going to introduce you to some of my coworkers tonight," Oliver tells me quietly.

Oh, his coworkers?

"So, you didn't have some grand gesture planned?" I accidentally blurt the stupid question out before I can stop it.

"No, Kinz," Oliver says. "All I wanted to do this weekend was reclaim our friendship. I didn't bring you here to pressure you about the choice."

"You alright, Oliver?" Erin's tone changes to one of worry, as she takes a few steps down and studies us.

"I'm fine," he assures her, but she's already descending the staircase anyway. "Kinz has got to get back, to Hunter."

"Oh," Erin's face says it all, she knows everything. She descends the rest of the stairs as she speaks like she's taking control.  "I will take her to the airport. Oliver, go up and get a stiff drink."

"I still need to book the plane, and we need to go get her stuff," Oliver argues. "You've done enough overtime this weekend."

I can make the call, and I have a key card to your place," Erin reminds him in a firm tone. "Besides, taking your friend to the airport is not overtime it's a favor, and I like it when you owe me."

"If I don't make sure she gets on the right plane and gets home safe, Hunter will kill me."

"I can handle getting on the right plane," I tell them and then look at the very obvious staircase and cringe a little, I am kind of hopeless at times, aren't I?

"We can't risk you getting lost at the airport, Kinsey," Oliver says.

"I will make sure she gets on the right plane," Erin says. "You are going to go up there and have a drink with your friends. Now."

"But.."

"It's okay, go have a drink it's been a night," I assure him. "Let Erin handle this."

"I... okay," he agrees albeit hesitantly. "I will be back in Sweet Haven soon. Give me a few days, maybe a week."