Chapter Thirty-Five

Sept 2001 

As Olly pulls up to the school at the start of junior year. I feel different this year than any other. No nervous anticipation. I didn't even spend hours overthinking my outfit and kept it simple with a pair of short jean shorts, my wedge sandals, and an oversized orange top with a flowy feel to it.

Freshman year was scary and confusing, trying to find my way. Dealing with hormones and my body changing while trying to handle my overwhelming crush on Hunter, and then missing Brandi after our fallout.... meanwhile still keeping my grades up.

Sophomore year was an emotional roller coaster, to put it mildly. It was the year I had my first heartbreak, my first kiss, my first boyfriend, and my first breakup. The year I found I had feelings for both my best friends. The second and worse fallout with Brandi and, of course, the bullying. It was like emerging from a literal battle, sophomore year.

Somehow, though, I made it through it all, and then I spent the summer in bliss with Olly.

We have a hard time keeping our hands off each other these days. When he pulled up today in his brand new Aeropostale shirt and those cargo shorts that show off his tanned calves, I nearly dragged him into the barn and skipped school. If it wasn't day one, I might have.

I'm excited for this year, though, really excited.

I have more friends than I ever did, and Olly and I are happier than ever. We don't have to start worrying about colleges and the future yet, although Olly is a little. But I refuse to go there when he starts on it. We don't really have to have those talks until next year. Why stress now?

This year gets to be... fun. Just fun.

As Olly and I head up towards the entrance, we see Erin walking in as well. She sees us and offers a small smile. She's dressed in a pleated skirt and white blouse with a pair of black Mary Jane's and knee-high tights. She always looks so perfectly put together. Hunter says she wants to model after high school.

Despite Olly's prediction, Hunter continued seeing Erin after the Fourth of July. We even had a few double dates with them. They were a little awkward, though. I've been trying to bond with Erin, but we don't click like I do with Brandi or Zoe. I'm proud of how not jealous I've been about the two of them though. Sure, I might occasionally feel a twitch of annoyance when he touches her, but like a twitch. It doesn't even count.

"Hi Erin," Olly greets her as I return her smile.

"I thought you were getting a ride with Hunter, Olly?" Erin asks, looking confused.

"No, I have a car, and Kinz and I always ride together," Olly says as he slips his arm around me. "Why did you think that?"

"He said he was riding in with a buddy today," she says. "I assumed he meant you."

"I bet he meant Zoe," Olly says, and I light up with an excited grin.

"Zoe! It's got to be!" I cheer. I miss her so much. She's been gone the entire summer. We've talked a few times, but she's been very busy, and I am really anxious to find out what or actually who has her so busy. I could tell the last time we talked, she met someone. She was damn near giddy, and Zoe is never giddy.

"Zoe?" Erin's face falls, and her lip lips twist into a frown. "I thought she moved or something?"

"Just for the summer," I clarify.

"Last year, everyone said she and Hunter were hooking up." A shadow crosses Erin's face.

"People just assumed that. They never hooked up," I promise Erin, but she still looks doubtful.