Chapter Thirty-One

"Wow, this looks exactly the same." Oliver looks on in wonder at the park, which is unchanged for the most part, other than needed updates through the years.

It's still lush with big trees that keep it shaded and a small community garden that's been in place for years. The center of the space is cleared out for a small playground and a few sets of swings that sits atop woodchips to soften the blow if kids fall.

Near the play area, picnic tables and small grills are set up. Oliver sits at a table nearest to the swing sets and I join him. His eyes are gazing at the swings, seeing something in his mind, a memory I don't see.

Brandi...when there was no one else she'd talk to, Olly would find her here.

"I heard you on the phone earlier," I say carefully. "I didn't mean to listen in, but...was that Billy you were talking about?"

"Don't say anything to Brandi yet," Oliver says quickly as his gaze darts back to me. "I don't want to get her hopes up."

"You're really doing it? Trying to get Billy out?" I ask.

"He shouldn't be in that long for a charge like that," Oliver says. "It's not right. He has kids and Stephanie...it's terrible."

"I won't say anything to Brandi, but you maybe should," I say carefully. "Before you get the ball rollin' on all this."

"Get her hopes up, and then if it doesn't happen, nothing changes, and she's still stuck?" Oliver asks as he stands up. He starts walking towards the swing, and I follow.

"She don't see herself as stuck," I argue. "She loves those kids and her life here."

Is that how he sees being here, as stuck?

"You don't know that," Oliver pushes the empty swing, and it causes a burst of air between us. "I know she loves her life and those kids, but what if she wants to travel? Or move? Meet someone? I'm just saying she should have the choices, at least."

"And I think you should run it by her," I say slowly. "I'm not saying don't do it... just make sure Brandi knows what's going on first."

"That family has suffered enough. I'm not adding false hope to that," Oliver says firmly.

"You are not responsible for everything that happened–"

"Kinsey, stop," Oliver cuts me off. "We're not teens anymore. I make up my own mind now."

"Whoa, okay," I say, taking a step back and crossing my arms over my chest.

"I didn't mean to..." he pauses and takes a breath. "I'm just saying one of the things 'Olly' always did was go along with whatever you wanted. I'm not that kid anymore."

"I didn't always push you around," I argue, feeling shades of that talk with James emerge, did I?

"That's not what I said," Oliver says tiredly.

I hug my arms tighter around myself as I stand facing him. The air seems cool even in the heat of the sun as we stand there under this invisible dome of the past and present that surrounds us.

"I'm not standing here placing blame on you, Kinsey these are just facts. I didn't want conflict, so I went along with things, at least in the early days, and especially when it came to Brandi."

"I can't deny that," I confess with a sigh. "But I was scared she'd push us away. I thought I was right."

"I know you did and who knows if anything would've changed had we done things different," Oliver's voice softens.

"Still, it's hard not to wonder about the what ifs," I say. God knows they haunt me every day all day especially now.

"You were right though, a part of me always felt responsible for Brandi," Oliver says. "When I left you, I left her too, and then all this crap happened to her family. I have to try and help her now, and I have to do it my way, Kinz. Please understand that."