Chapter Forty-Seven

"Knock, knock!" I call out as I open the door to the Benson house, just in time to duck out of the way as two girls run past me, one being Sara, the other no clue.

"Sara! Wait for the rest of us!" A deep male voice calls out, and I smile as I step into Brandi's kitchen.

"Give it up. Babe, we need to stay five feet away from her at all times in public," Stephanie says.

"Is that Billy Benson?" I ask, and there he is. Older, his face slightly hardened, and he's muscular as hell, but there's no mistaking that same old cocky grin of his. He's leaning against the counter sipping a beer, and Stephanie is standing next to him, a soda in her hand.

"Bucky!" Billy sets his beer down and grins as he walks towards me. He says the old offensive name in such a friendly way I can't even be mad at him as he envelopes me in a warm hug.

Still, I scowl at him as we part. "Bucky, Billy, really?"

"Apologize to her," Stephanie shoots Billy a look, but he just shrugs.

"It was for old times sake. I meant it as a compliment," Billy says.

"Sorry." Stephanie offers me a small smile, then ducks off down the hallway.

"Watch out, Kinsey's gotten a lot scrappier," Brandi says as she walks in from outside, and Oliver is behind her, sipping a bottle of beer.

"She was always scrappy," Oliver says.

"Just because she pushed you around," Bily retorts.

Brandi's phone rings and she frowns as she looks at it. "It's the prison."

"The prison?" Billy questions. "Why are they calling you?"

"I don't know," she mumbles as she answers it. "This is Brandi Benson. Can I help you?"

The room goes silent as we all stare at her. Her eyes widen and she lets out a small gasp.

"Are you serious?" she pauses for a long moment. Nodding several times and gulping a few. "He...damn. Wow, um, okay, no, this is good news. Thanks for letting me know. Okay, bye."

Brandi hangs up the phone and stands there stark still as she slowly shakes her head.

"Brandi, what?" Billy presses.

"Brandi?" I prod.

She doesn't move and doesn't even seem to hear us.

"B?" Oliver takes a step closer, breaking her trance; her eyes well up with tears as she looks at him.

"What did you do, Olly?" she whispers.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Oliver replies, but he's not looking right at her.

"Yeah, you do, you do because there is no way. Sixteen years he's been... Sixteen years, he wouldn't risk release. He wouldn't! You did something."

"Release, what? Is this about Wade? What the hell is going on?" Billy demands.

"He got into a fight with another inmate," Brandi says. "I guess it escalated, and I don't know much more. They didn't give me all the details, but his release was revoked."

"What!" I gasp.

"Oh, thank fuck!" Billy yells out, then sees Johnny looking over and cringes.

"He's not getting out now?" I question.

"Not for a while. I guess there are new charges now and a hearing and–"

She stops, stepping closer to Oliver. "How did you make this happen? I don't understand."