Chapter Twenty-Five

"I can't even fit all these to-go boxes in the fridge," I say as I start finagling stuff to make room. We ordered enough for a family of ten, and it was a blast just our old road trip days. 

"Leave the lava cake out," he says as he pours us each a glass of wine.

"How in the world can you eat another bite?" I say as I hand the box to him. "I'm surprised my dress hasn't popped off."

"What a shame," he says as his eyes roam my body. I feel that familiar rise of heat. "Better have some lava cake then."

"Nice try," I scoff, but I can't resist the bite as he holds the fork to my lips. I close my eyes and moan as I savor the melty chocolate ganache and the rich sponge that soaks it up. "Holy Hell, that's better than sex."

"There ain't a cake on earth that's better than sex," he argues.

"Is too, and I'm about to steal it from you," I say as I yank it out of his hands.

"Sorry, Little Darlin, but no way."

"Way," I retort childishly with a little giggle. I take another bite to ensure it and decide that I am definitely right.

"I'll prove you wrong... someday," he says in a low tone, smirking as his eyes flicker. He grabs the box back from me and leaves with it for the living room. Leaving me with my mouth gaped open like an idiot. So, he's not having 'the talk' with me about what he wants, but he'll tease me to death like this?

How fun.

I shake my head and follow him into the living room. He sits on the couch, and I flop down next to him. As he flips on the television, some house-hunting show is on, and he leaves it as we fall into silence for a bit.

"So... what were you and Oliver talking about in the barn?" He breaks the silence once the cake is gone. "Y'all seemed alright when I got there."

"We only got into some stuff and decided to leave it for the night. There's still a lot to be said," I sigh. "He does feel bad about breaking the promise, but I don't know that he's sorry he did it. In his eyes, I guess he did what he had to do for himself."

"That's crap. He ran away, and for no reason, he had everything, and he threw it away."

"Hunter, I'm not blameless in all of it," I say softly. "He feels terrible about it now, and he is sorry for what it did to me."

"He'd be a lot sorrier if he saw how bad he hurt you," Hunter mutters irritably. "I know you're not blameless, but I also know you didn't do anything that justifies leaving like he did or saying the things he did to you when you found him."

"I know Hunter, and I'm terrified of those conversations and opening those wounds. But at the same time, because of how he left and shut me down when I did find him, I never got any closure, and neither did he. The wounds never healed, and now that he's here, maybe they can."

"I think you do need that," he agrees as he angles his body to face me. "I know how much he always meant to you. Hell, I always assumed I'd be the best man at your wedding while I died inside."

"What?"

He lets out a humorless laugh as he brushes a hair from my face. "When we first met, I thought Olly was your little brother. I saw you through the window talking to him, all animated and laughing, and thought you were the cutest thing I had ever seen. Once I realized you two were this package deal, I tried to forget and be y'all's best friend. Even my ma was like, don't fall for that girl. Everyone in this town says it's gonna be her and Olly."

"I managed to keep it cool, though, until freshman year. It started getting obvious."

"Not to me!" I protest with a laugh.