Chapter Twenty-Six

"I think that's everything," I say out loud as I pull out the large stock pot.

I talk to myself when I cook. It's a weird habit that started sometime after moving in with Julian. I think it was because I was so used to gabbing away whenever I cooked at home. Between Olly and his parents, Hunter and Shar, and other friends and family that would visit, our kitchen was never empty growing up.

I'm about to start adding the diced apples into the pot when my cell rings, so I grab it.

"Hey Hunter, what's up?" I ask as I answer.

"Hi, Darlin," he says in a tense voice.

"You alright?"

"I'd be better if this remodel didn't keep fighting back," Hunter sighs.

"You ran into another issue?" I guess.

Hunter and his crew are remodeling one of the old farmhouses on the edge of town, and it's been one thing after another.

"We found mold and a lot of it," he explains. "We exposed it, so now we have to get it cleaned up before I can leave here."

"Oh shit. Be careful, Hunter."

"I always am."

"No, you're not!"

He chuckles. "I am when it comes to black mold. Listen, Kinz, I need a little favor. It's the last day of school. I was supposed to pick Harley up for the weekend."

"You need me to go get him?" I offer.

"Amber can go get him and bring him over if you don't mind watching him till I get there?"

"Of course, I don't mind! He can help me make apple butter. I'll make dinner too, so don't worry about anything but what you got to do."

"Thanks, Kinz. You're the best. I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Don't rush, I got him," I say as I hang up.

I quickly scribble a note for Amber that says, making apple butter, just come in, and tape it to the door.

The first part of the process is very finicky. I have to babysit it; if I take my eyes off it even to get the door, I could ruin it. We're almost out of the apples in the root cellar from last year's harvest, so I cannot let this batch be ruined. I silence my phone next and then get to it.

***

I'm on the last part before I can lower the temp and leave it while it simmers. Standing and watching the pot, waiting for all the sugar to dissolve and the top to become glossy and bubbly. If you don't wait for that, the texture won't be right.

Once the glossy part happens, I can lower the temp, let it simmer, and finally relax. I hear the door open and prepare myself for Harley to come racing into the kitchen, but instead, it's quiet footsteps behind me.

"Kinz?" Oliver's nervous voice fills the space. "Is it safe to talk to you?"

"Yeah, the hard part is done. I'm just waiting now," I laugh. "Safe, though, really?"

"You almost killed me and Hunter that one time when you were making it," he points out.

"Because you both came tearing in here, and then Hunter yelled, boo," I defend. "I had just learned to make it too. My first batch alone, and you two made me wreck it."

"We didn't know you'd actually ruin it. You were so serious and grumpy, telling us to stay quiet in the living room. We couldn't help ourselves."

"Yeah, well, I'm still mad about that, so thanks for reminding me," I tease.