Chapter Sixteen

To say I'm nervous doesn't even touch the tip of my feelings come Monday morning. I stand in a towel with dripping wet hair facing my open closet. I'm about to sit down with the two men who were both supposed to be my happily ever after. To discuss the mess my life is. 

What does a girl even wear to such an event?

When I called Julian about Oliver's offer, he was surprisingly eager to meet with him and wanted to do it right away, which probably means he assumes we're getting a loan. I'm ready for Julian to push that angle and prepared to fight against it. No way, I will not owe my ex-boyfriend a large sum of money.

I reach into the closet and grab a simple yellow prairie-style dress. It's a pretty dress with spaghetti straps, a sweetheart neckline, and a flirty skirt that falls a few inches above my knee.

Julian will hate this dress. It's way too country, and he hates pastel colors, especially yellow. I once wanted to paint the kitchen yellow, and he told me he'd throw up every time he walked in it. To finish the look, I slip on my cowboy boots. I smirk as I lean over my dresser to start my makeup. 

 Yes, I am a petty bitch wearing a dress I know my ex-husband will hate, and I'm good with that. 

After Saturday I spent the rest of the weekend in this room, for the most part, avoiding Hunter, Oliver, and the entire rest of the world. I organized the decades of clothes here, which helped ease my mind. They, unlike my thoughts, were something I could sort out. I even found the old Undertaker sweatshirt from all those years ago. Had a good cry over that shirt on my bedroom floor. 

Is it a sign? Oliver showing up here reminds me how fast a lifelong friendship can come to an end, and that sweatshirt reminds me of the first time that happened. I can't let that happen again.

I didn't think I'd survive losing Olly, but I did, and it made me stronger. Strong enough to handle what I have been going through with my marriage falling apart and the divorce.

But the reason I survived losing Olly is Hunter. I cannot lose Hunter. He is literally the most important person in my life. I won't survive that loss; I just won't.

Is all of this a sobering reminder not to be risking that? There's a familiar pang of pain in my heart at that thought. A hollow ache that's been for a long time.

"I don't have time for all this thinking right now. I got to get coffee on and get ready for this damn meeting," I say to no one as I grab the folder full of the debts, and duck out of the room.

 I smell coffee when I get downstairs and rolls too. "Oh, Mama." I smile softly; she left the oven on warm, and as I get closer, I see caramel rolls inside. She and Dad had to leave early this morning. One of my uncles had a farmhand quit unexpectedly, and he needs a lot of help, so Dad's gonna fill in for the week until he finds a new one. 

Perfect timing: Dad cannot stand Julian. He was only ever polite to him for me, he won't hold back now, and I don't need all that today.

I lift the caramel rolls out of the oven and set them on the table, along with the folder. I then pour myself a mug of coffee and take a brave breath as I prepare myself. It's been nearly two months since Julian, and I have been face to face. I'm nervous, things tend to go south with us, and when we start fighting, things can get a little nasty, sometimes more than a little. Maybe with all this time apart, it won't get like that today... I hope not, I don't want Oliver to see all that. 

I'm so lost in my thoughts; I nearly jump out of my skin when the kitchen door opens.

"Sorry, Darlin," Hunter says sheepishly, holding up an empty mug; he smells amazing, fresh from a shower, his inky hair damp. "My coffee maker took a crap. I thought you'd still be asleep?"