CHAPTER 22

Celes POV

(ALTREA)

The clouds were getting darker with every passing second. A storm is coming. The trees, devoid of all life were creaking with the strong breeze brought on by the incoming storm.

I turned my head towards the dry and barren land. Aqui and Silt were also inspecting the premises.

This used to be a world filled with beauty and joy. Music would flood the streets and the people would have a feast honoring the gods. Thanking us for the magic that we grant them.

But now...

Most of the land feels like a ghost town.

"The Great Calamity really did a number to Altrea. People are turning against each other to have enough resources to survive", Aqui said sadly.

"And this happened right below our noses! I don't understand it! We have done our best in protecting our turf. Yet, this calamity came in so fast we weren't able to contain it.", Silt added.

They were right.

The calamity was something we could have so easily prevented yet we couldn't. As if it were a force equal to the might of us gods. It was extraordinary.

And obviously not the works of a mortal...

"Celes!"

An angry voice roared.

An intense ringing in my head and a stinging pain reverberating from my heart echoed into my entire body. I crouched on the ground clutching my chest. Both Aqui and Silt quickly aided me to sit up.

"What happened?", asked Aqui.

"I don't know.", Silt answered summoning her little power to call upon the other gods.

I winced in pain as I tried to get back on my feet.

"Did you hear that?", I asked.

They both looked at me in confusion.

"Heard what?", they asked in unison.

So only I heard that voice?

I turned my head sideways looking for something that apparently wasn't there. It was no ordinary voice. It had the power to inflict pain upon me, the god of the highest order.

Just as I was about to look for the mysterious but powerful voice, Silt fell on her knees.

"Silt! Oh no... I think she's overspent her remaining powers. We need t hurry back into our realm, Celes. We are not safe here. The darkness is slowly consuming this world."

I nodded and quickly summoned my power to teleport us back into the realm of the gods.

That evil voice will have to wait.

-----

(GODS REALM)

"Celes. Stop pacing back and forth please. We're all worried.", said Lustre

"I know"

"She's strong. The strongest out of any of us", added Igni.

"I know"

Smack.

I stopped and glared at Reve whose hand was still in mid air after slapping my back.

"She won't like seeing you like this.", he teasingly said.

I sighed.

I damn well know that I was acting like a worrywart.

"You can't blame me. Abrial is my wife."

"And she is also the goddess of space. She'll be fine", Igni retorted.

"I know. I'm just frustrated. I am your leader too and yet I couldn't even do a single thing to help you all. You're all suffering. Doing your best to hold Altrea for as long but here I am sulking over my own incompetence."

I felt every gods gaze on me.

"You know you can't use your powers Celes. It will be much more chaotic if you do", Aqui said.

I nodded.

I know I couldn't.

"True that! If you use your powers you might even undo our own existence. Much more dangerous than taking resources from other worlds", said Igni. I saw Gliae nodding in agreement.

That's the problem.

I gazed at my hands before clenching them both into fists.

What use is this power of mine if I couldn't even use it?

I was about to answer when the realm suddenly shook. We all held tightly in our seats waiting for the shaking to stop.

I smiled and quickly jolted up from my seat and went out to the courtyard, the other gods followed suit.

Sure enough, Abrial was in the front gate.

"I have returned!", she announced in glee.

I quickly ran to her and scooped her into my embrace.

"My wife."

"Has Celes caused you guys trouble?", she asked pertaining to the gods behind me to which they jokingly agreed with.

"I have good news.", said Abrial.

I hesitantly stepped back to listen to her.

"I have found a way to stop Altrea from collapsing. Earth has all the resources we need. We just need to summon her."

"Her?"

Abrial broke out into a smile.

A smile that could honestly blind mere mortals.

"Yes. Her."

Author's note: might I interest you in a character inspo picture for Abrial, the goddess of space :>