CHAPTER 19

“Well, that’s it! Time's up kiddos. Now let’s see the scoreboard to see who took the most ribbons don’t we?” Professor Layla announced.

All six of us were now gathered inside the classroom where the scores are being tabulated.

After a flick of her hand, the scrambled letters written on the flat surface began to form into the words:

Anisha Luminire – 20 pts.
Leon Brickell -20 pts.
Leanne Brickell -10 pts.
Remia Galiante – 5 pts.
Diane Froan – 5 pts.
Selene Dionera – 0 pts.

My mouth literally fell open. Not because I was shocked of my own score, nor because of the fact that I was tied with Leon but it was because of Selene’s score.

If she got zero, that means Leon managed to steal all her ribbons. My head turned to face her and ask about what happened between them but I quickly stopped myself.

Selene’s face was dark.

No, more like she was really really pissed. This isn’t the first time, but Selene rarely gets angry.

I know for a fact that Selene isn’t a sore loser. Even if she loses a battle, she gratefully accepts it and would strive to train harder. Seeing her like this, something must’ve happened for sure!

Just what happened?

“Oh! How fun! We have a tie between Miss Luminire and Mister Brickell. Unfortunately, only one of you will be able to get the prize. So…”

The professor, turned around to fetch something hidden under her desk.

It was a box.

Nothing special like I expected.

“Let’s play fair okay, kiddos? Would the two of you step up front?”

I nodded and stepped forwards, Leon followed suit. I peeked a glance at him, hoping to find some sort of clue to why Selene was so angry.

But to no avail, Leon acted in his usual calm and composed stature. The only expression he wore was that of politeness.

“Now, here’s the rules. Inside this box is an object that I will keep confidential. The first one to guess what’s inside wins. Easy right? You’ll each take turns to guess but the catch is, the one who isn’t guessing would ask me a question that should only be answered by either 'yes' or a 'no' for a clue.”

I nodded my head in response.

“So, the one guessing has the most advantage isn’t that right?” Leanne remarked.

The professor grinned. “Exactly! But of course, if you’re the one asking, you'll need to think of questions that I could answer with 'no' in order for your opponent to have no hints correct?”

“So it’s a game of who's good at fooling who”, Selene said in a snappy tone while glaring daggers at Leon.

The professor nodded. “Enough talking, who’ll go first in guessing?”

Leon smiled and gestured towards me. “The first to guess will obviously have an advantage, so I’ll let you go first, my lady.”

Hmph.

How cocky.

But he wasn’t wrong. I glanced at the box Professor Layla was holding. It didn’t look heavy since she was holding it with ease using only one hand. The size is about the same as her head, though so it must be something that takes up a lot of space, yet is light at the same time.

“Ok, I’ll go first”, I said.

“Great! Mister Brickell, your question?”

Leon smirked confidently.

“Is the item in the box you’re holding right now, something that belongs to you, Professor?”

Prof. Layla lifted up a 'yes' sign.

Did he really just give me that hint? Still, it was too early for the game to end.

“A book”, I guessed.

The 'no' sign was lifted.

“Is it something heavy?” I asked.

NO.

“It’s a rock”, Leon answered.

NO.

“Is it something expensive?” Leon asked.

NO.

Four straight 'no' signs huh.

I was right thinking that it wasn’t something heavy, though. It's something she owns and isn’t expensive…

“Lipstick.”

NO.

“Is it something important to you?” I asked.

She hesitated for a bit before lifting up a 'YES' sign.

I racked my brain for whatever in the world could be important to a free-spirited person like her.

“A letter”, Leon guessed.

NO.

Putting a hand under his chin, he asked, “Is it something you bring with you every day?”

YES.

We're taking up quite a lot of time…

It’s my turn to guess now, but I seriously still have no clue on what it could be.

I glanced over at Leon. He looked calm as if the game wasn’t even a challenge to begin with.

Important. Not expensive. Something she brings everyday…

Was it perhaps?

“Underwear?”

The whole room grew silent.

Until, it was filled by the roaring laughter of my classmates and Professor Layla.

“Seriously, Nisha! That’s your guess?” Selene asked in between her chuckles.

“Pfft”, in the corner of my eye, I saw Leon who was desperately trying to stop himself from laughing.

But I was serious!

“Professor, that’s my answer.”

Wiping a year from the corner of her eye, Professor Layla held back her laughter.

“My, I’m quite surprised of the amount of imagination you have in your brain, Miss Luminire! But no! Dear gods, it is not my underwear!”

Ugh.

I really thought I had her!

“I think I know the answer. I don’t need the question, Anisha will ask”, Leon announced.

Where did that confidence come from?

“Oh, really? Then, pray tell, what is it?” I asked him.

“It’s the professor’s license. Am I wrong?”

The blonde nodded and opened the box. It contained her license for teaching in the academy.

Much to my surprise, it was normal? Considering how free-spirited she was I really thought it was something crazy!

“Congratulations, Mister Brickell! Therefore, you’ll be exempted in the midterm exams.”

I heard Selene groan but whether he heard her or not, Leon only smiled. The tension in the air was so thick that a knife could cut through!

I really need to know what happened.

“Alright, class is over! Tomorrow, we’ll officially start with the lecture. Don’t be late, kiddos! Goodbye!” The professor said and was gone like the wind.