CHAPTER 15

CELES POV

“Nothing. I just wanted to say good luck. I’ll be at the library”, I said and cut off my telepathic link with Anisha.

Smiling to myself, I skipped towards the school gym’s exit. Most of the students already went to their own classroom, the same goes for the teachers.

Upon arriving at the gym’s exit, I spotted a familiar figure casually sitting in a bench just beside the vending machine Anisha and I were earlier.

He was a tall and lean with shoulder- length black hair, matching his all black outfit and equally dark accessories which were mostly piercings adorning his ears. Despite his obviously eye-catching presence and attire those who passed by paid him no mind and continued on their way.

I stopped and waited for the people to vacant the place before opening my mouth to speak.

“Why are you here, Murke?” I asked in a disapproving tone.

Murke, one of the 9 gods of Altrea. To be specific, he was the god of darkness. A cunning, playful god who looks down on humans.

“Isn’t that question quite hypocritical of you, oh great Celes? Oh wait! Can you still be called ‘great’ now that you’re left with only 1% of your powers?” he teased in a sarcastic tone.

Sighing, I stood in front of him so that he’d be looking up and me.

“I am still your leader, Murke. I demand respect from you.”

He scoffed and stood up to face me at eye-level. Strong rebellion was evident in his eyes but after a few seconds, it was replaced by amusement.

He bowed his head.

“Do forgive me, Celes. It seems I have offended you with my little joke.”

I know for a fact that he wasn’t joking, though. Murke and I have very different opinions especially concerning humans.

“You didn’t answer me, Murke. Why are you here? I’m certain that it wasn’t only to annoy me is it?”

He laughed and held up both arms as if in surrender.

“Now, now, Celes. Can I not visit another fellow god? You piqued my interest see. Imagine! After 450 years, you finally let another human borrow your power! I was shocked, you know! My good friend who promised not to let a human use his powers, actually did! I felt a little… betrayed.”

I sigh.

“This is a special case. I don’t need to explain to you, don’t I?”

“Oh no! Of course not! But, you see I was very curious. When I saw her during the magic awakening ceremony, I thought she looked familiar. So, I wanted to look at her again. That human you lent your powers, I mean”, he said, his tone filled with an annoying playfulness.

I felt my blood boil.

So he was here to see Anisha… He couldn’t possibly –

“She looks like her, doesn’t she?” he asked. Gone now, was the teasing tone but was replaced with a heavy and dark seriousness.

I looked away, not answering his question.

Of course, I knew. I was well-aware that Anisha looks like her…

But, she isn’t.

“She is not the person you think she is, Murke. Go back. You don’t want anything to do with humans don’t you?”

He stared at me, as if trying to get more information out of me. I stayed silent. Only the rustling of the leaves and a gentle breeze could be heard.

A few moments later he burst out in laughter.

“I knew it! Of course, she isn’t her! That human, merely has the same face as her. I refuse to accept that someone as filthy like a human can even compare to Ab-”

“Stop it”, I cut him off.

I didn’t want to hear her name.

A knowing smile appeared on Murke’s face.

“Well, I’ve had my fun! And my answer. Don’t worry, Celes, I won’t be troubling you or that human. I, at the very least, have taste regarding those I play around with. Ciao! My brother.”

And just like that, Murke disappeared and returned to the shadows.

I sat down on the vacant bench and sigh. Murke was always a troublemaker among the nine gods but he won’t trouble people without a clear reason.

But I was hoping that he won’t notice Anisha’s resemblance with her…

Sighing, I leaned back on the bench and covered my face with both hands. Thankfully, the shade from the oak tree sitting beside the bench helped me cool my head.

My thoughts were in a mess.

Well, it has been ever since Anisha came into the picture.

I remember that fateful day…

-----

“Celes, where are you going?” Lustre, the god of light who was polishing his arrow asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders.

Honestly, I’m not sure. For 450 years, I’ve never really had a sure destination.

“Oh, let him go! He enjoys visiting other worlds so much that he can’t take care of his!” The loud voice of Igni, the god of fire butted in. He was busy roasting chestnuts while chewing on a dried squid.

We were in the world of the gods, Divinicia, a place where the gods, their servants, and a bunch of demi-gods live in harmony.

“Now, Igni calm down. But he’s right, Celes! You are our leader! You have your duties to attend to.” Lustre exclaimed.

“I’ll do them when I get back”, I said hoping that it’ll ease their wariness.

“You always say that! Celes, it’s been 450 years, by now shouldn’t you be able to forget her?”

I flinched.

Her.

Right, it’s been 450 years.

At the corner of my eye, I saw Lustre slapping Igni’s back in reprimand. Igni quickly plastered both hands over his mouth.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to”, he apologized.

I forced a smile on my face. I couldn’t really say that it was fine. It wasn’t.

450 years and yet as a god, there are just some things that I could never forget. Ever.

“Well, I’ll be going now. I’ll come back soon. Tell Murke to stay away from trouble, okay?”

“So you’ve chosen a destination?” Lustre inquired.

I nodded.

There was always this world that I wanted to visit. A world without magic, unlike Altrea, but it seems with interesting places and people.

And maybe, I’ll be able to forget when I come back.

“Yup, I’ll be visiting Earth.”