Words That Start With K

"Who would have thought after all these years I'd return to the scene of the greatest military disgrace

     "Who would have thought after all these years I'd return to the scene of the greatest military disgrace... as a tourist?" Iroh joked, whipping out a hat from seemingly nowhere. Kireina smiled and laughed to herself, basking in the company of those she holds dearest.

     Although not everyone was enjoying the reunion. Zuko scowled from beside Iroh, glaring at everyone and anything that crossed his line of sight. It didn't bother Rein in the slightest, she longed for Zuko back and unfortunately this was simply his personality.

     "Look around," Zuko started, "We're not tourists. We're refugees."

     Rein began glancing around at the stressed people littering every inch of the boat. She had barely even noticed the crowded deck, her eyes had been trained on Zuko since they reunited just hours ago. She was startled back to the teenager in front of her as he spat out the 'food' they were served earlier.

     "Ugh!" Zuko gagged, spitting out the remnants over the ship's edge. "I'm sick of eating rotten food, sleeping in the dirt, I'm tired of living like this."

     Kireina frowned, she completely understood Zuko's sentiment. For months she had been sleeping in the dirt or if she was lucky, a hammock. Her stomach endlessly growling as all she could forest for were berries, while then having to ration her findings out to her group of misfits. Rein longed for a loaf of bread, even just a small piece to hold her over.

     As if Zuko could read Rein's thoughts, he finally met her eyes before doing a scan of her body. His frown grew deeper, if that was even possible at this point. It was obvious to Kireina as she watched Zuko look from her to his bowl of slop and back to her again that he was trying to offer it but knew it wasn't edible.

     Right on queue, Jet approached followed by his crew. Per usual, a piece of wheat hung from his mouth and a glint in his eye. "Rein, I hear the captain's eating like a king while all us refugees have to feed off his scraps."

     "Well that doesn't seem fair, does it?" Rein replied, her voice piercing through the air. She hadn't spoken much since boarding the ship, having been listening to Iroh tell the tales of his journey with Zuko, there wasn't much space for her to jump in when he was on a roll like that.

     Upon hearing Jet mention food, Iroh whipped around, "What sort of king is he eating like?"

     "The fat, happy kind." Jet answered. "You wanna help us liberate some food?"

     Zuko glared down at his bowl of slop for the final time then proceeded to throw it over the edge, "I'm in."

     Rein shrugged, "How could I say no to liberation? That's what I'm all about!"

     Jet smirked and threw an arm over her shoulder, "That's my girl."

     She cringed outwardly, slinking out from under his limb. Instantly her eyes fled to Zuko, who was mirroring Jet's previous smirk. Watching Rein escape Jet's advances was all Zuko needed to see to make the new teen's presence more bearable. He could trust Rein to keep things mutual between the two, there wasn't a risk of losing her to him.