The Guider Effect

"Aang, we need to talk

  "Aang, we need to talk." Kireina announced as she approached her brother in the abbey. The younger boy looked up at her with doe eyes, a frown painted on his face. She led him away from the square and towards the shore, away from listening ears.

     "What's up?" Aang questioned, plopping himself on the sand. Momo chirped and made a perch out of Aang's shoulder. Rein situated herself next to him and sighed. The entire gang was exhausted after trying to steer Bato's ship around the ocean so it felt nice to just sit and relax for a change. 

     "I know you're hiding something."

     Aang's eyes widened and his hand instinctively reached for his garb where he was hiding the map leading to Hakoda's location. Kireina noticed this and quickly tackled her brother, digging around in his pockets until she found the piece of parchment.

     "Is this what I think it is?" She asked her brother in shock. Aang nodded and slumped his shoulders, visibly disappointed in himself. "How long have you had it?"

     "A few days..." He answered, tears brimming his eyes.

     "Oh Aang." Rein sighed and pulled her younger sibling into her side, hugging him while rubbing his back. "Are you hiding it because you're afraid Katara and Sokka will leave you in order to find their father?"

     "I just love them so much, Rein, I can't imagine this journey without them. They've been by my side for months now, I don't want to lose them."

     "You know you're going to have to give Bato this. It's important and shouldn't be part of a scheme." Rein scolded him. Aang nodded and fell back into the sand dramatically.

     "They're going to hate me!" He cried, practically pulling at his nonexistent hair.

     "Why would we hate you?" Katara spoke, scaring both of the siblings. Sokka was following behind her, smirking as he spotted Rein.

     Kireina and Aang looked at each other, both of their minds reeling with excuses and lies they could tell their friends. Rein frowned and gave her brother the "I'll handle this" look, which sent a wave of relief over Aang.

     "I don't want Sokka to leave me." Rein whispered as she conjured up a story in her head. "So when a messenger told me to give this to you, I hid it instead. It's the coordinates to Hakoda's location."

     Sokka's face went through multiple different emotions as Rein laid out her despicable act to him. He was confused, then shocked, followed by sadness and finally anger. His dark brows furrowed together and his arms sat crossed over his chest.

     "Aang, you knew she was hiding the map, didn't you?" Katara asked the Avatar sadly. Aang nodded and looked down to his feet, ashamed of his actions.