Flamado!

Rein admired Sokka as he tended the fire that kept the group warm

Rein admired Sokka as he tended the fire that kept the group warm. His eyes melted into the flames of orange, she could tell his mind was reeling by the way his jaw clenched and unclenched. Aang and Katara were fast asleep, small snores escaping their parted mouths.

The four teens had ventured from Makapu Village after saving the town from their impending volcanic doom. They now sat along the shore in the Earth Kingdom, led here by Sokka in his search for Hakoda.

"Hey Sok," Rein whispered, wary not to wake her brother and Katara, "You should get some rest. You look exhausted."

"I believe you meant to say I look ravishing." He sarcastically replied, smirking at her.

"If I meant to say that- I would have."

"Gosh, Rein, you're so mean to me sometimes." He muttered. Sokka reached over to Rein, yanking her small frame into his lap. He wrapped his arms around her waist, placing his chin on her shoulder and gazing at the fire once again. Rein blushed and sighed in content, leaning the full weight of her body against his chest and basking in the glow of the warm fire.

The past few days were filled with absolute bliss. To journey throughout the kingdom with her brother was all she ever wanted in life. She couldn't remember the last time she smiled so much and meant it. But there was one thing that constantly weighed on her and that was Zuko. Rein couldn't help but wonder what he was up to. Every day she had to stop herself from running back to him.

"You know you're allowed to feel sad sometimes, right Sokka? I get you're trying to be strong for Katara and even Aang, but you can't keep hiding your emotions to protect them." Rein ran her fingers up and down his skin in a comforting manner.

"How did you-"

"Mother's instinct." Rein cut him off.

Sokka's brows furrowed, completely thrown off by Rein's answer. "M-mother? You have a child?"

She stared at Sokka with an expressionless look on her face before breaking into a toothy smile, giggles pouring out of her mouth. "No, it just felt like the proper response."

"You could have said your Ekkona instinct and that would have been cooler and way more effective." Sokka chuckled.

"I'm the same way, though- with pushing my needs and feelings aside for the sake of others." Rein spoke, veering back to the serious conversation. "For three years, Aang would come visit me every day and I'd lie, say I was fine and act like nothing was wrong. But, truthfully, I was miserable and lonely. I couldn't let him worry about me. Hell, even now I do it! I'm too busy helping others that I haven't even taken the chance to help myself, you know, with all this Ekkona stuff."

Sokka squeezed his arms tighter around Rein, pulling her as close to him as humanly possible. "You don't have to worry about that, I've got it covered. I've been asking around, trying to gather information and it's just constant dead ends. But there's this library in the desert where I think I can find the answer!"