Salvage

Asteroid cluster near the Dathomir System

Following their successful rescue mission on Zygerria, the newly promoted Admiral Tarkin sent Blue Team to provide security for a group of R.S.A. engineers that were analyzing an unknown warship found near Dathomir. The group consisted of forty engineers/scientists along with Blue Team. This detachment was stationed on the Precurse, an Arquitens-class cruiser that had been outfitted with additional workshops and server rooms to accommodate its crew.

The ship that they were analysing was unlike anything the engineers had seen before. Theorizing that it was probably a prototype warship of the Old Mandalorians before their collapse, the researchers struggled to dig deeper into its secrets. From the small amount of data that they could decrypt, the team learnt that the ship's name was the Pillar Of Autumn and was meant to be the flagship for the Mandalorian fleet but was scuttled before it could see any action.

Coming in at 1.4 kilometres in length, 300 metres in width and at its largest part; 400 metres in height. The ship did have some shields but the engineers reported that it wouldn't last long in an engagement with modern ships. However, what it lacked in shields it made up for in armour. The outside armour plating was an estimated 3 metres thick and composed of a mixture of chromium, dura-steel and beskaar. To add to this, each interior wall also had a 45-centimetre layer of this alloy to provide additional protection for the rooms further in.

In typical Mandalorian fashion, the ship's armament rivalled that of any battleship known to the galaxy. Outfitted with 18 heavy tri-turbolaser batteries, 4 ultra-heavy turbolaser cannons, 78-point defence turrets and 30 light turbolaser batteries. Though the heavy and ultra-heavy batteries required a gunner for each cannon, the point defence and light turbolaser guns were fully automated and targeted any nearby hostile vessel when activated. In addition, the Autumn also came with a wide assortment of missiles, rockets and torpedoes to bolster the already powerful arsenal.

As Master Chief walked through one of the few pressurized corridors of the ship, he passed a group of technicians replacing their external breathing apparatus. When the Old Mandalorians had scuttled the ship, they had opened up all hangar bay doors, hatches and internal blast doors to let all the oxygen out. They also disabled the shields and reserve power generators, making re-pressurising the ship a tedious and time-burning process. At the moment, the majority of engineers and technicians were draining the Precurse's breathing modules as they moved through the Autumn's most vital spaces to restore life support in those areas.

Thankfully the research team managed to find the ship's main reactors and were currently figuring out how to get the main power back on. Just as 117 entered into the engine room he received a transmission from Fives on the Precurse. "Chief, I got good news and bad news, which do you wanna hear first?"

"Good news?"

"The good news is that Blue Team have successfully repressurized the bridge and are slowly restoring power to some of the minor systems. The bad news is that the Precurse is picking up several ships heading straight for us." The ARC trooper informed, asking what the ships were, Chief was told that there was a Munificent class frigate being chased by a pair of Gozanti cruisers. Fives theorized that the Separatist were ferrying some looted treasure from a nearby world and were being attacked by pirates. "Fives, give the order that all personnel return to the Precurse. If the droids discover the Autumn, they'll call for reinforcements and we'll be severely outgunned."

"Copy that Chief, I'll give the order to evacuate the Autumn. Do you want me to scramble Blitz and Streak?" Fives responded, the clone pilots had each flown a V-wing alongside the Precurse on the way to the system as a protective convoy. Dathomir was well known for having a high pirate presence, hence why the escort was deemed necessary. "Do it, get them flying a protective patrol around the Precurse at around 60km out. If any droid fighters or pirates come near, they have permission to fire."

"Acknowledged, Precurse out." Fives ended the transmission while relaying the supersoldier's directives. Running through the cleared areas of the ship, Chief made sure that all the engineers and technicians were back at the airlock where they would wait for the Precurse to dock with the large battleship.

Once everyone was on the cruiser, Chief joined them and closed the airlock. Suddenly the ship shook with tremendous force as it received incoming fire. "All hands, this is the bridge. Battle stations!" Fives called out over the shipwide comm. Making his way through the chaotic hallways to the bridge, Chief arrived to see Fives in the captain's seat, directing the personnel onboard to various tasks. Upon noticing 117, Fives immediately relinquished control of the ship over to the spartan. "Chief, the Seppies decided to leave after the pirates started gaining the upper hand. That is when the pirates realized that we were here as well."

"Alright, I want the fighters to target their smaller craft. Helmsman set a course for the lead ship, we're going on the offence. All guns, clear us a path to that ship." Chief gave out orders and directions for the rest of the crew as the ship continued to shake under the pressure of the battle.

"Sir! Our starboard engine is out, portside can't take much more either." One of the officers called out to Chief. Quickly going over the plan in his head, Chief instructed all personnel to board the escape pods and get ready to launch. When Fives asked him what was going on, Chief stated that he was going to overload the ship's reactors after flying directly in the middle of the pirate force. "Sir, with all due respect, that's kriffin insane!"

"I don't have time to argue with you now, get Blue Team equipped with whatever EVA gear we still have left. You and Echo will be in charge till I can rendezvous with you. I will send a distress beacon to Republic Forces in the area, a rescue party will be with you guys soon." Chief wasn't wasting time by listening to suggestions. Acknowledging the orders, Fives ran out of the bridge to assemble the rest of Blue Team.

As the Precurse neared the pirate fleet, a transmission came through on the monitor. It was an audio-only message but it was pretty clear; surrender your ship or we will take it by force. Pressing the comm button to send a response, Chief only had four words for them. "Come and get it."

With ships encircling the cruiser and preparing to board, Chief fired the escape pods, sending them flying away from the blast zone. Commencing the overload sequence, Master Chief slammed his fist down in frustration when an error message appeared. Getting out of the captain's chair and running to the main reactor. 117 heard the sound of cutters as the pirates started boarding the Precurse. Luckily he reached the reactors before being found by the pirates. Typing away furiously on the console, Chief finally managed to initiate the overload sequence. However, he only had 2 minutes to get to safety.

Running as far and as fast as he could, Chief reached the Precurse's hangar as the ship started to rip itself apart. Leaping out of the hangar bay doors, Chief got struck by a piece of debris as it was propelled towards a nearby pirate ship. Using his thrusters to steer himself onto the enemy craft, 117 latched on just as the fighter was hit by another piece of debris. Being in such close proximity to the Dathomir, the planet's gravity had already started affecting the smaller pieces of scrap in the area. One of which was the downed fighter that Chief was stuck on.

As the hundreds and thousands of pieces started burning through the atmosphere, Master Chief held on for his life as the fighter shielded him from the immense heat. Looking up at the scene of destruction, Chief witnessed the Precurse's exploding body tear through all of the pirate ships that were utterly useless to stop it. Suddenly, a larger piece of steel and wires rocketed into Chief, sending the entire world around him black.