Goodbye Commander

Jedi Temple - Coruscant

With the awkward silence still hanging across the cockpit, the Jedi shuttle finally landed with Shaak Ti exiting first and allowing Chief to shut down the last few systems. Word was that Ahsoka Tano was the one who planted the bomb and was now on the run. Chief had received three different calls, one from General Skywalker, one from Captain Rex and the last one was from someone he least wanted to talk to; Tarkin.

Both Skywalker and Rex wanted Ahsoka brought to them directly in secret so that they can talk about what was going on. But given that both called him separately, Chief guessed that neither knew about the other. Skywalker's bond with the fugitive could easily be explained, with his more emotional approaches to matters it made complete sense why he was reacting this way with his Padawan. Rex however, had probably developed feelings for her over the years that they served together, so she was most likely more than just a commanding officer for Rex. Fives explained it well once on the way back from a mission; "Commander Tano is more than just another officer, she's our vod'ika. She genuinely cared for us and did her best to stand up for us."

Remembering how Rex acted in the dungeons of the Royal Palace on Zygerria, Chief was fairly confident in his deductions. Compounding the fact was that he had personally seen how clones could become attached towards other people, especially Jedi. But there was no time for that now, he had three assignments regarding the missing Togrutan teenager that he had to pursue.

Admiral Tarkin had a much different request for Chief, he wanted Ahsoka hunted with extreme prejudice, dead or alive. To say he wasn't going to listen to Tarkin's assignment was an understatement, Chief was going to ignore or actively try to sabotage the admiral's goals given three reasons. One; what Tarkin did to him in the past regarding the trial, R.S.A. missions and his disrespect towards Blue Team. Two; Tarkin was likely actively working with Palpatine to destroy the Jedi, so by doing this mission, Chief would indirectly be helping Palpatine with his end game plans. Lastly; though he may have only had a very limited interaction with her, she was just a teenager, one of the things that even the stone cold spartan would not eliminate, or at least be reluctant to do so.

So, with his objectives clearly set, Chief walked out to a different landing pad where he boarded a gunship. But moments before it took off, Commander Wolffe and four Coruscant Guard troopers also climbed aboard and told the pilot to take them to sub-level 38. As the LAAT's doors slid shut, Wolffe spoke up. "Chief, I'm guessing you've also been assigned to hunt down Ahsoka Tano, so I'll give you the brief. She was last seen exiting a transport on sub-level 38 near a large warehouse. We're going directly to the warehouse while Captain Rex and Commander Thorn establish a perimeter."

"Copy that commander, what's the rules of engagement given that there will likely be civilians?" Chief asked, if there were less-than-lethal measures in place, it would give him the excuse for not killing her should Tarkin or another high commanding officer ask. "The current ROI is that we are to use non-lethal measures only. That means stun blasters, riot sticks, tear gas and droid poppers. No heavy blasters or detonators."

"Affirmative, what's our ETA?" 117 replied with some slight relief, although that did limit him to only his pistols and the three EMP grenades he held with him. Answering from the front of the gunship, the clone pilot answered by stating that they will likely be there in 5 minutes depending on the air traffic.

Pulling the massive spartan to the back area of the gunship and out of earshot of the red shock troopers, the 104th Commander almost whispered to Chief. "Look Chief, Rex told me what he asked of you and to be honest, my general asked something similar of me. So when the time comes, I'll distract the Coruscant guard while you convince her to join Blue Team."

With a silent nod, 117 was onboard with the plan. If it failed, there wasn't that much damage that could be done. But if it succeeded, then the Pillar of Autumn would be adding a Jedi to its ranks.