The night that never ends

Republic Military Complex - Coruscant

With almost four dozen completed missions with the R.S.O, Chief had earned a reputation among the CIS command for his brutality and unrelenting warpath against them. Though none of the captured commanders ever admitted it, the droids feared going up against the Master Chief. They had even given him a name, Demon, though it was meant to be an insult, it definitely had a slight respect attached to it.

This did not go unnoticed by Tarkin however and rather than congratulating Chief on his string of successes, the admiral just kept sending him on more and more dangerous missions. At this point, Tarkin was actively trying to get the Master Chief killed in battle. Luckily for him, a new front in the war had just opened, and it was one that could possibly kill the Demon given the right circumstances. Arranging with the Chancellor to have General Skywalker return to Coruscant and send General Krell in his place, Tarkin ordered the Master Chief to go to Umbara to support the 501st in their campaign to take the Capitol.

Time skip

501st campsite - Umbara

Both Rex and Fives were not happy with their current situation, especially regarding their new "leader". Having just been pushed back from the main highway to the Capitol and receiving another awful verbal session with the General, the pair were relieved to find out that they would be getting some reinforcements to continue on their mission.

The plan required every available heavy ground asset to be designated in support of the 212th and 41st, who were engaging a series of heavily defended bunker networks to the south and east of the Capitol. This left the 501st with minimal support vehicles, mainly AT-RTs and a few ground speeders that carried supplies. With no heavy armour or artillery and limited air support, the 501st had to rely on the mobility of the men and their cunning strategy when divided into smaller fire teams.

Unfortunately, Krell did not share this vision and kept on ordering the men to move in large groups in order to "inflict maximum damage" on the Umbarans. This strategy was severely demoralizing the men and had already caused major casualties. With the emphasis on supporting the 212th and 41st, chances of getting reinforcements were slim to none, so when Rex and Fives learnt that they were getting some help, they didn't hesitate to accept.

Though they were cautious to let their hopes get too high, the pair were severely dishearted when they only saw a single shuttle come in from the atmosphere. Watching the craft come down, Fives was really hoping that there was a big gun or a different general inside to relieve Krell of his command. This train of thought was soon derailed when the doors opened and revealed non-other than the Master Chief in all of his glory. He had carried a heavy repeating blaster cannon in his hands with the powerpack attached to his heavy weapons slot next to his assault rifle. "Chief, it is good to see you here. It has been a kriffin mess ever since Skywalker left, Krell is sending us on these suicide missions without fire support and minimal reinforcements."

"Where is he?" Chief responded menacingly, when he was still on the shuttle he reviewed Krell's battle plans for taking the Capitol. It was safe to say that he was not happy in the slightest with Krell's decisions. Approaching the general near one of the ground speeders, Chief halted right in front of the Jedi Master and saluted in acknowledgement of his command. "Cierra one one seven, your reputation proceeds you, it is good that you are here to show these clones what a real soldier looks like."

"With respect sir, these men are some of the best soldiers you will find in the galaxy. I have served alongside these men numerous times and they have never let me down." Chief replied calmly but with a hint of anger. He strongly disliked when officers saw the clone troopers as just soldiers that are meant to follow orders like droids. They were men, men that give up their lives for the Republic without ever asking for recognition. "I see that you have grown soft on the clones 117, need I remind you that they are inferior to us in every way possible? They lack basic social understanding and can't be trusted to think for themselves. Moments ago I was informed that a group of clones had taken it upon themselves to proceed with an unauthorized reconnaissance mission. When their bodies were found, it was already too late."