Chapter 3

Hours of restless sleep later, I gradually regained consciousness, feeling groggy and disoriented. The room enveloped me in a solemn hush, illuminated by the soft morning light. As I turned my gaze toward the bed, I discovered the stranger fixated on me, his body still and immobile, seemingly too weak and injured to make a move. He had reverted to his dark, foreboding form, with his crimson eyes gleaming ominously. The intensity of his stare conveyed a chilling message, wordless yet unmistakable—a threat that lingered in the air. Though he uttered no words, I understood with a horrifying certainty that he intended to harm me. The feeling of terror gripped me tightly, intensifying the regret that flooded my being. I had made an undeniable error in offering assistance to this man. His presence filled the air with haunting darkness, resembling suffocating gloom. Struck by the sudden realization of my impending demise, I spoke with a mixture of caution and curiosity.

"I could have taken your life while you were unconscious, yet I refrained" I stated, hoping to elicit some reaction from him. I aimed to convey the significance of my restraint, emphasizing that I once held control over his vulnerable state but opted to assist him instead. In essence, I was indirectly pleading for mercy, hoping he would recognize the act of kindness I had shown him.

To my surprise, he retorted with a calm yet unsettling response, "Why didn't you?" His voice carried a profound resonance while his stoic demeanor remained unchanged, his face devoid of emotion. I attempted to maintain eye contact, meeting his defiant gaze for as long as I could, but eventually, I found myself unable to hold his penetrating stare any longer. I glanced downward, rendered speechless. Internally, I berated myself, thinking, 'Because I'm thoughtless, that's why.'

Suddenly, I heard a chuckle escape from him. When I looked back up, he wore a smirk and gave a subtle nod.

"Your silence speaks volumes," he remarked. I didn't want to speculate on his thoughts or bear witness to his smug expression while he dwelled in them. His taunting attitude was the last thing I could endure at this moment. Unbeknownst to me, I was on the brink of testing his boundaries. Mustering my courage, I stood up and began making my way toward the door, stealing occasional glances at him, noting the satisfaction fading from his face. Just as I had taken a few steps, he spoke again.

"Look at me," he ordered. Choosing to ignore him, I continued walking towards the door, aware that the confines of the small room limited the distance between us.

"I said... Look at me!" His words carried a menacing tone that reverberated in my ears. A shiver ran down my spine, causing goosebumps to form on my arms. Reluctantly, I turned to face him. The stranger had lifted himself upright, his face tilted downward, but his intense gaze remained locked on my every movement. It was a visage that embodied sheer horror, leaving a permanent image etched in my mind. He cast a look of disdain.

"Where are my weapons?" he spat, his gaze piercing. Avoiding his eyes, I attempted to conceal the truth, fearing he would see through my lie.

"I don't know. I found you outside... you didn't seem to have anything with you," I shrugged, my thoughts scattered. Letting out a sigh, I looked at my feet, almost as if I was seeking his approval to leave the room. His eyes continued to fixate on me, scrutinizing me with an expressionless face.

After a brief moment of stillness, I took a deep breath, carefully assessing the situation. My stubborn nature tempted me to defy him, to flirt with danger. However, the weight of the unbearable pressure sank down on me, and I realized that I had wasted enough time. With newfound determination, I turned towards the door, yearning to escape the toxic and suffocating atmosphere. But just as I was about to make my exit, his grip tightened around my right wrist, causing me to flinch with surprise. Startled, I swiftly turned back to face him, my eyes widening in anticipation of his next move.

His threatening voice, seething through gritted teeth, reached my ears, "If my belongings aren't returned to me by the time I am able to leave this bed, you will deeply regret it."

He pulled me closer, until his breath grazed my cheek and neck. "I promise," the words lingering on his tongue.

Fear instantly consumed me, paralyzing my every muscle and leaving me completely immobilized. A few moments elapsed before I abruptly snapped out of my daze, rapidly trying to retract my arm. His penetrating gaze pierced into mine with unwavering intensity, although the distance between us made maintaining eye contact a challenge. Restlessly, my eyes darted back and forth, alternating between his eyes, lips and the various objects scattered around the room. It was inevitable to catch a glimpse of his facial traits. His features were striking, sharp, and defined, seemingly carved from stone. His face held an intensity that was both captivating and unsettling, accompanied by eyes ablaze with a penetrating gaze that seemed to delve into the depths of one's soul. Determined to conceal any hint of emotion, or at the very least suppress my mounting fear, I bit my inner cheek, feeling my lips tremble ever so slightly. Peripherally, I caught a glimpse of a smirk gradually forming on his lips. Finally, after what felt like an exhausting battle of wills, he released my wrist, clearly exasperated. Holding my arm close to my body, I gingerly massaged my wrist before hastily fleeing the room, desperate to escape the unsettling presence that lingered behind.

Having closed the door behind me, I pressed my back against it, seeking support. With closed eyes, I inhaled deeply, attempting to steady my racing thoughts. His condescending nature was utterly repugnant. He took pleasure in belittling others; his actions and words aimed to inflict maximum pain and ignite feelings of powerlessness. Descending the stairs, I settled myself in front of the dining table, resting my face in my hands. The past 10 minutes had been so distressing that tears threatened to escape, yet my mind was overwhelmed with a whirlwind of contemplation.

'What if I actually do harm him? Should I take matters into my own hands? Or would it be wiser to seek assistance from the guards?' These thoughts swirled incessantly within me, though none of them seemed feasible. Engulfed in a state of internal conflict, I remained seated there for nearly half an hour, grappling with the predicament presented by the enigmatic individual in my room.