Chapter 19

Time seemed to stretch into an agonizing eternity, the seconds weighed down by the impending doom. Then, abruptly, his hand released its vice-like hold, the oppressive force dissipating like a vanquished phantom. I cautiously opened my eyes, and to my astonishment, I was met not with the suffocating depths, but with the sprawling expanse of The Great Plateau, shrouded in night's embrace.

Stumbling backwards in stunned disbelief, I lost my footing on a jagged rock, crashing to the ground. My hand quickly reached for my neck, recalling the agony I had felt just moments ago. The sight of Dark possessed by Ganondorf's powers, his demeanor broken and pained, his grip on my throat... It had all been absolutely torturous, and the next second, everything was different, as though nothing had ever happened.

I stammered, still grappling with the surreal shift in reality. "Wha- How...?''

Drawing in a steadying breath, I took a moment to survey our surroundings, the realization settling in. My gaze immediately sought out to Dark, his figure partially visible, his form bearing the injuries of the struggle. He stood there, head down looking at his illuminated arm, his hair obscuring his face, a silent sentinel of enigma. As the gloom covering him seemed to dissipate, the dusky hue of his skin receded, and his breathing gradually steadied. Given his current condition, it was difficult to fathom that just a minute prior, he had gripped my neck with such intensity, his scorching hand a glimpse to the fire within him. Impulsively, I allowed my overwhelming emotions to take control, my voice strained and heavy with a blend of disbelief and betrayal.

"You speak of trust, of alliance. Yet, you deceived me. Was it your plan all along, to trap me?" The words surged from my lips, carrying the weight of my pain, each one a blade cutting through the air.

Amidst the maelstrom of emotions, one question loomed larger than all the rest: Why was Ganondorf seeking me? He had known my mother – the first mention of her since the war.

"You lied to me... Dark? Link? What is it? How long did you intend to manipulate me?" My gaze bore into him, demanding answers. He finally glanced at me, his face devoid of any flicker of emotion, his eyes holding a lifeless emptiness. The gash on his face was gruesome and crimson stained his features, a reminder of the battle he had endured.

Without a word, he turned, the strain evident in every step he took. He reached a crumbling wall, leaning on it heavily. Despite my anger, a surge of empathy welled up within me. This was a moment of reckoning for both of us.

"Don't worry, we will part ways soon," he murmured, his voice heavy with resignation. He brought his hand to his mouth and blew a sharp whistle. In the distance, among the shattered structures, our black horse from earlier galloped towards us, a beacon of familiarity in this sea of turmoil.

"Oh, it's so convenient for you to distance yourself rather than confront your own deceit. How did we even end up here?'' A few moments passed, the silence hovering over us.

"Answer me!" I pleaded, my voice tinged with desperation.

"I can't think properly at the moment," he said, exhaustion apparent. The horse drew near, and slowly, he moved toward the horse, bracing himself against its sturdy form. There was a long pause before he turned slightly and glanced at me. It felt like an unspoken invitation, one I met with defiance.