Chapter 5

Following our agreement, I quickly withdrew, leaving him to his solitary state. The decision was made to commence our search in the early morning hours. As I pondered the recent events, a wave of doubt washed over me, questioning both my sanity and the audacity of deceiving the weary traveler. The burden of guilt and the looming fear of the consequences if he were to uncover the truth consumed my thoughts. I had willingly entangled myself in this perilous situation by extending my help to a stranger in need. Regret gnawed at my conscience, wishing I had chosen to leave him to his own fate.

Moreover, the peculiar events leading up to our agreement continued to perplex me. Had I truly heard multiple voices? Was the fleeting shadow in my room a figment of my imagination? Did the vision of blood serve as an ominous omen? Why did the traveler hold me responsible for his predicament? Who or what was he fleeing from?

With only a few hours remaining until sunrise, I settled into the room adjacent to the kitchen, furnished with makeshift bedding and multiple layers of blankets to ensure some semblance of comfort. Exhaustion washed over me, and with the challenging journey ahead, I surrendered to my fatigue almost instantly upon lying down on the bed-like surface.

I was woken from my slumber by commotion emanating from the kitchen. Blinking away the remnants of sleep, I witnessed a scene of chaos unfolding before me. Objects were being hurled about in a frenzy, creating a disarrayed spectacle. Disoriented, I propped myself up, feeling the creaking of the floor beneath me, as if it were a warning sign that someone had taken notice. The clamor abruptly ceased, and the stranger materialized in the doorframe, his silver locks disheveled and his chest exposed, the bandages on his body stained with blood. To my surprise, he appeared to be in better condition than I had anticipated. It was as if he possessed an extraordinary ability to heal, with the bruises already fading and the scars lightly carved upon his skin. Despite the resentment I held towards him, I couldn't deny his evident attractiveness. The sun casting its warm glow behind him was accentuating each feature by the play of light and shadow.

Leaning against the doorframe, he took a bite of an apple and tilted his head to the side. His gaze pierced mine, seriousness drawn upon his face, as he posed an exasperated question, "Where are my shirt and armor? Or did you find me undressed as well?" he mocked, rolling his eyes in frustration.

"Out in the yard," I replied with a tinge of reluctance. I observed his departure through the entryway, my eyes tracing the scars on his back and the breadth of his shoulders. Making my way into the kitchen, I inspected the aftermath of the havoc that had passed. Utensils and cooking equipment were strewn about, drawers and cupboards left open, and empty food packages scattered across the countertops. It resembled the aftermath of a tornado. A sigh escaped my lips as I muttered to myself, "What did I expect?" The realization sank in that he was truly untamed, devoid of any semblance of manners.

With a sense of urgency, I quickly gathered some fruits and bread, fully aware of the challenging day that lay ahead. Crouched on the floor, I began packing my bag with bandages, clothing suitable for different weather conditions, elixirs, and other necessities. Suddenly, I felt a force yank at the back of my shirt, causing me to lose balance and fall onto my back. Startled, my head thud against the wooden floor, and as I gazed up at the ceiling, I found myself face to face with the traveler, although in an upside-down orientation. Despite the disorienting position, anger was clearly carved across his features. Panic and confusion engulfed me as I wondered, "What did I do now?"

"Did I not warn you about the repercussions of deceit?" he interrogated.

As I rose to my feet, I had a clearer view of him. Gripped tightly in his hand was a Vicious Sickle, while he carried a Mighty Lynel Shield and a Steel Lizal Bow on his back, instruments of both offense and defense. I possessed a fair amount of knowledge regarding weaponry, having dedicated considerable time to the intricate art of weapon embellishment, investing in my passion daily. Each of these weapons showcased the traveler's formidable fighting prowess, serving as a testament to his numerous victories. I cursed myself for my lack of foresight in concealing the weapons more effectively. It was a serious oversight as I now found myself in imminent danger.