Chapter 25

The situation was undeniably challenging, to say the least, acclimating to the myriad royal protocols and the intricacies of rules and etiquette. The hours were consumed by a flurry of activity, the demands of my role as princess unrelenting, a constant reminder of the weight of responsibility that now rested on my shoulders. The days were filled with purpose, but they were also marked by an unshakeable sense of isolation. Frequently, I would express my desire to escape the confines of the castle, craving the freedom of open air and the simple pleasure of a walk. It was a small rebellion against the gilded cage I found myself in, a way to reclaim a semblance of normalcy amidst the wealth and formality that surrounded me.

In those stolen moments, I would seek comfort in Link's presence. Amidst the castle's grandeur and the numerous personnel, he became an anchor, a familiar figure in the midst of the unknown. Before even arriving at the castle, I had learnt that he had been conscripted into the castle defense services, allowing him to partake in the contest.

As I wandered the courtyard, Gralens would frequently seek me out, engaging in discussions about the guards' training and their preparations for the upcoming contest. It was an opportunity for him to showcase his own abilities, often boasting about his prowess. I listened attentively, though my patience wore thin with each self-congratulatory remark. Politely but firmly, I would find a way to bring our conversations to an end.

One day, as Gralens continued his habitual monologue, I happened to catch Link's watchful gaze from a distance. His expression was different, a shadow of displeasure darkening his features. Our eyes locked, and he held my gaze for a lingering moment. Seeming to recognize his demeanor, he abruptly looked away, returning his focus back to his rigorous training regimen.

I watched him intently, a swirl of curiosity bubbling within me, his reaction piquing my interest. Unfortunately, the day pressed on, and duty called me back inside, where I attended to my obligations. As the evening descended, I had completed my tasks, affording me the opportunity to step out once again for my customary evening stroll. There, amidst the dimming light, I was pleased to discover Link still engrossed in his training near the knights' corridor. The rhythmic clash of wood echoed through the courtyard, punctuating the quiet castle grounds.

"Glad to find you here," I greeted as I approached Link. He paused in his training, turning to look at me for a moment before returning to his practice, his movements fluid and precise. The air held a quiet intensity, a palpable energy that seemed to surround us.

"What are you doing here?" Link inquired, his voice carrying a hint of curiosity. Duty once again imposed its silent barrier, creating a subtle but palpable distance between us.

"I could ask you the same," I replied, my gaze fixed on him as he continued his training. I yearned to initiate a conversation to close the gap between us, but I wasn't sure where to begin. It had been quite a while since we had last spoken.

"Don't hang out with Gralens. He's bad news." Link said in between his breaths and hits, interrupting the silence that had settled between us. His words seemed to allude to the forced conversations I had to endure with Gralens during my strolls in the courtyard.

"Why?" I inquired. Link paused again and straightened up, standing tall. He then shifted his focus to me, his gaze meeting mine, studying me for a brief moment.

"Just trust me," he urged, his tone sincere. There was a gravity in his voice, a plea for me to heed his advice. As I gazed at him, a sense of nostalgia washed over me. I found myself missing his protective person, and I was grateful that the bond between us still held strong. In that moment, a surge of happiness washed over me, making it hard to take him seriously.