Chapter 14

The few days we've spent together seemed to be affecting me, stirring up emotions and wearing down my patience. After a much-needed break in the makeshift shelter, I emerged to a beautiful view of a bridge stretching across a picturesque gorge. Dark was busy cooking meat and mushrooms over a crackling fire, the delectable scent of the food filling the air and making my hunger undeniable. I approached Dark and sat down in the soft grass beside him. He glanced at me briefly, giving a simple nod to acknowledge my presence, before returning his attention to the task at hand.

As he removed the food from the fire, I watched him grab a piece of flat wood, using it to slice the tender meat into thin pieces. He placed the food between us, and we began to eat face to face, savoring the delicious combination of meat and Stamella mushrooms.

Between bites, Dark spoke, his voice steady. "We need to pass that bridge over there," he said, gesturing towards the distant structure. "We also need to find a horse," he added, hinting at our next objective. I nodded in agreement, my mouth still full of food. I quickly finished eating and washed it down with a drink of water, watching as Dark packed his bag while mine remained lost in the previous event.

As we prepared to leave, I made the decision to put on the earrings he had given me. Catching his gaze, I noticed a quick expression of appreciation that momentarily softened his demeanor. Making sure we had everything we needed, Dark took the lead, and I followed closely behind as we walked and descended the hill where we had rested.

Approaching the bridge, Dark signaled for us to crouch and stay quiet as a Bokoblin rode by on a black horse. The tension in the air was palpable as we waited for the enemy to pass. Once it was clear, Dark whispered for me to stay put and ventured forward to deal with the creature.

I watched from our hiding spot as he confidently shot an arrow into the Bokoblin's back, causing it to screech and fall. It immediately charged towards him with its weapon drawn. With incredible agility, Dark deftly blocked the attack with his dagger, then swiftly struck back, taking down the enemy. The Bokoblin disintegrated before our eyes, leaving behind a stranded black horse.

Dark returned to me with a hint of amusement in his eyes. "This is going to be our ride," he declared, tapping the horse's back. It seemed that we had found our means of transportation for our next leg of the journey.

"Come," Dark gestured as he paused, a slight smirk playing on his lips as he considered the situation. I approached him, noticing his gaze drifting lower on my body, a feeling of discomfort washing over me. I observed his confident smugness as his eyes followed my every move. A realization struck me like a sudden gust of wind – I was about to sit in such close proximity to him.

"I can help you get on if you want," he said, his smirk widening. I didn't want to dwell on what he might be thinking at that moment; it seemed like a suggestive thought crossed his mind.

"I can do it myself," I replied with determination, turning my back to him. With a leap, I attempted to mount the horse, but my grip slipped, and I felt myself falling. Just as I braced for impact, I was suddenly halted and felt something wrapping around me. Dark's arms encircled me like a protective embrace from behind, breaking my fall and saving me from injury.

For a moment, I remained still, absorbing the shock of the situation. His proximity sent shivers down my spine, and I felt his breath against my neck. It was as if time stood still for that brief instant. Then, he released his arms, and I quickly got off him and stood up, my heart pounding in my chest. The intensity of the moment left me flustered, unsure of how to react.