Chapter 20

As Link stepped outside, I took a moment to gather my thoughts, marveling at the transformation he had undergone since our first encounter. The layers of his character were slowly unfurling, offering me a deeper understanding of the person he had become. The weight of our shared experiences settled over me, a palpable reminder of the gravity of our journey.

Few minutes passed before I joined him as he was skillfully setting up a small fire for the cooking pot. The flickering flames danced, casting a warm glow on his features. Meanwhile, I decided to venture into the surroundings, gathering eggs and mushrooms, relishing the moment of solitude.

The morning unfolded in a comfortable rhythm as we prepared and enjoyed our late breakfast. Conversations murmured around us, a distant backdrop to the shared silence that enveloped us. It was clear that a cloud of unanswered questions still lingered, but Link appeared preoccupied, his thoughts seeming to wander elsewhere.

As we concluded our meal, Link made his way back into the stable to gather his belongings, a clear indication that his journey was set to continue. The stable worker brought our horse, cementing the fact that departure was imminent. When Link emerged, our eyes met, and he nodded gently toward the waiting horse, signaling that it was time to move on. As we ventured further from the stable, walking side by side, my curiosity got the best of me.

"Where are we going?" I asked Link, searching his face for any hint of his intentions.

"Hateno Village." His response was simple yet filled with weight. The realization hit me; he was taking me back home. I knew it was undoubtedly the right thing to do, the best course of action for my safety. Still, my mind couldn't help but circle back to the myriad of unresolved questions, like ghosts haunting the periphery of my thoughts.

"But, I..." I began, determined to press for the answers that still eluded me.

Link halted and turned to face me, his gaze steady and unwavering. For a moment, he looked at me, his expression softening, before he lifted his arm and gently patted my head. "You're too small to be out here," he said, a faint smile gracing his lips. His voice carried a soothing quality, providing a moment of solace amidst the uncertainty that hung in the air. I could feel my cheeks warming in response, a telltale sign of my emotions. Despite the surge of warmth, I stood my ground, determined not to let these newfound feelings overwhelm me.  It was destabilizing, to witness this tender side of him.

His eyes held mine, a silent understanding passing between us, before he continued. "I wish I had all the answers you seek," he spoke, his tone laced with empathy. "But, Ganondorf is still searching for me, and being out here puts you in danger. Returning you home is the best choice." His words were now resolute, leaving little room for argument. The weight of his decision settled heavily between us, the gravity of our circumstances bearing down on our shared journey.

I slightly frowned and looked up at him, crossing my arms, his presence towering over me. For a moment, my gaze lingered on his features—the scar forming on his jaw, the weariness in his deep blue eyes from countless battles, and the tousled strands of hair that framed his chiseled face. Eventually, I had to look away, realizing my confrontation didn't faze him. The weight of his decision was palpable, the implication clear. Once we reached Hateno village, it would probably be the last time I'd see him.

He gestured towards the horse, and once we were mounted, we officially set off for my hometown. The day was overcast, a chill wind sweeping across the landscape. The journey was marked by a heavy silence between us with each passing mile carrying with it a weight of introspection, as if we were both lost in our own thoughts.