Chapter 16

Lost in my thoughts, I watched in awe at the mesmerizing sight as Dark prayed to the Goddess Statue. The rays of sunlight passing through the cracked roof, and the vegetation that had grown from lack of human presence made it somewhat ethereal. The glow illuminated the sanctuary, dispersing heat in our surroundings.

As relaxed as I felt at that moment, I could feel tingling at the tips of my fingers and a sudden sensation in my chest, inquietude taking over me, feeling my heart beating faster and shivers going down my spine. I knew something bad was coming, but before I could even react, a loud noise erupted. A bomb had exploded just outside, the remains of stone flying everywhere in the sanctuary. Startled, I let out a cry of fear and instinctively backed away as Dark stood in front of me.

The scene before us was one of complete destruction, smoke emanating from the wood and shattered stone littering the floor, emitting ominous cracking sounds underfoot. A group of menacing men approached the temple, entering the remnants of the structure. From their attires and their masks, it wasn't difficult to understand they were from the Yiga Clan. I knew what was about to unfold, and a profound sense of devastation washed over me.

"I'll take care of this," he said, his voice resonating in my ears. "Just stay back, okay?"

The group of men closed in around him, ready to engage in a violent confrontation. And so it began. One man charged towards him, but Dark swiftly evaded the attack, retaliating with a powerful right hook that sent his assailant crashing to the ground. Drawing a dagger from his belt, he confronted two men wielding metal bars. With a fluid motion, he executed a backflip, his leg striking one man's shin, and as he landed, he sliced the other man's throat. Fueled by a raging fury, he engaged in a fierce battle, enduring a blow or two to his jaw. His movements were relentless, his strikes precise, and within a few minutes, he had incapacitated them all, blood dripping from his mouth.

For a brief moment, relief washed over me as I believed the ordeal had come to an end. However, as he caught his breath, a man entered the remnants of the shelter, followed by an imposing figure towering over him. Taking a moment to assess the situation, the man's expression seemed to reflect a mix of satisfaction and discontent.

"What do we have here?" he said, menacingly as he advanced in the wreckage in front of Dark, positioning himself a few meters away from us. With a subtle gesture, he instructed his follower, "Go ahead."

The burly figure proceeded as told, appearing outwardly like any ordinary Yiga blademaster, except for the ominous red smoke that emanated from his being, as if consumed by the malevolence of Gloom. He advanced menacingly, and Dark instinctively reacted, charging towards the entity with an eruption of rage. Blow after blow, Dark relentlessly struck his opponent, but the man appeared unfazed, his anger seemingly fueling him to an explosive point.

Just as Dark prepared to deliver a powerful right hook, the man, faster and stronger, landed a devastating punch to his cheek, causing Dark to stagger backward. Another punch followed, sending him crashing to the ground. The sheer disparity in strength was evident, and it seemed as though Dark was destined for defeat. Yet, he refused to surrender. With great effort, he rose to his feet, groaning and bleeding from his nose. As he attempted to make a move, the blademaster seized him by the shoulders and delivered a brutal headbutt. Each blow inflicted excruciating pain, pushing Dark closer to the brink of unconsciousness. Four blows later, he collapsed, unable to rise again.

I stood there, helpless and engulfed by sorrow, as Dark lay in agony, struggling to maintain consciousness. The imposing man took him in a chokehold, and it was a brutal, merciless attempt on Dark's life. Desperation coursed through me as I tried to muster every ounce of strength to intervene, but a frigid grip held me back, muffling my cries with a hand over my mouth. The scene before me was horrifying, and I was utterly powerless, forced to witness a life being snuffed out before my eyes. Amongst these intense emotions, I could feel something surging within me, heat radiating from my core, a potent energy welling up.

My vision blurred from tears and anger, obscuring my judgment as I relentlessly struggled to break free from the hold. Summoning every ounce of resolve, I sank my teeth into the man's hand, causing him to release his grip on my mouth, finally allowing me to scream, "STOP!"

In an instant, a blinding, intense light erupted, enveloping all of us. The sudden brilliance shocked everyone, their gazes turning towards me. It was only then that I realized the restraining arms that had held me down were gone. As I glanced behind me, I noticed the seemingly burnt soldier fall to the ground. It looked as though he had caught on fire, his attire sizzling while its body disintegrated, leaving behind the famous Yiga Clan mask. I stood in disbelief, shocked at what had just happened. Why was everybody looking at me?

"That's enough", the man I assumed to be the leader finally spoke, his voice slicing through the tense atmosphere. In an instant, the grip on Dark's lifeless body was released, causing him to collapse to the floor with a resounding thud. To my astonishment, Dark coughed up blood, struggling for breath.

The leader then signaled to his guards to apprehend me. They advanced swiftly, though I sensed their hesitation as they compelled me to my knees and secured my arms.

The man approached us and gave me an intriguing look before muttering "Interesting". He stared at me for a moment, scrutinizing me before bringing his attention to Dark. He then leaned over his battered form.

"I've heard of you before, rumors of your prowess, of your determination... You know, I admire resilience, you could come work for me," he began, only to be interrupted as Dark defiantly spat in his face. The man chuckled, studying him intently. Then, his gaze shifted to his men, who lowered their heads, witnessing their leader's humiliation. A sense of pride emanated from this individual as he carried out his next actions. He bent down, delivering a knee to Dark's chest, then drew a knife and carved a deep gash along his jaw. Dark winced in agony, unable to offer any resistance.

As the man admired his handiwork, he further scrutinized Dark, a flicker of recognition in his voice. "Aren't you the one Ganondorf seeks? What's the name of the boy?" he demanded with aggression, turning his head towards his guards. "Link, sir," one of them replied. "Ah, that's right...It all makes sense. Well, you're in real trouble now, kid. Take him," the man declared, rising to his feet. "As for her..." He came towards me, gripping my face tightly, forcing my head to turn and exposing me to his gaze. "I'm sure we could have some fun with her," he proclaimed, signaling his men to seize me.

In that heart-wrenching moment, Dark and I were forcibly abducted, yanked away from the shattered remnants of the temple. Our captors quickly covered our heads with bags and tied our hands, effectively separating us. Dark's voice was silenced, intensifying my unease and fear. Desperation to find him welled up, and I screamed out his name. But before I could grasp the full horror of our situation, a brutal blow struck my head, plunging me into unconsciousness.