Chapter 15

In the middle of the night, I stirred from sleep, a sense of unease settling in as I became aware of movement nearby. The air was filled with the sound of heavy breathing, shrouding the surroundings in an eerie stillness. As my eyelids fluttered open, a fleeting shadow seemed to vanish from the periphery of my vision. It mirrored the experience of that second night when I had first encountered Dark, memories flooding back and leaving me both puzzled and stunned.

This time, I couldn't simply dismiss it as my imagination, not when it had happened for the second time. Despite this certainty, I attempted to convince my groggy mind that perhaps it was the remnants of a dream, lingering as I had just awoken. As I sat up, my focus was drawn back to the movement beside me, my gaze falling upon Dark. His form was contorted in apparent distress and his breathing rapid. It was a déjà vu that sent a chill down my spine, for I had seen Dark assume this very position before.

Without hesitation, I reached out to him, gently shaking him in an attempt to rouse him from whatever seemed to grip his slumber. His arm was damp, likely from sweat, and the muscles under my touch were tense. With a firmer nudge, I attempted to wake him further, and then called out to him. "Dark, wake up," I urged.

In an instant, his eyes opened, and the moonlight, filtering through the cracks of the cabin, revealed the familiar crimson hue that I had come to associate with him. I watched in awe as his eye color immediately shifted back to the purplish shade I had last seen. His hands then clutched his chest in pain, his face and body contorting as he emitted a pained groan, rolling to his side. He remained in this tormented position for a while, his rapid breaths gradually beginning to steady. It struck me that he must have been sleeping throughout this ordeal, prompting me to wonder what could possibly haunt his dreams so vividly. My initial thought was night terrors, but how could mere imagination alter the color of his eyes? As his composure gradually returned, I layed back, absorbing the weight of what had just happened.

Dark's breathing had steadied, and his previously tense body seemed to have relaxed into a more peaceful slumber. Balancing concern with curiosity, I observed him for a moment longer. Come to think of it, aside from the nights when I had first taken him in, I had never witnessed him fully at rest. The silence now greeting me, I felt fatigue kicking in, allowing myself to go back to sleep.

As the darkness of the night gave way to the gentle colors of dawn, the morning greeted me with the gentle warmth of the rising sun spilling into the cabin. My surroundings came into focus, revealing that I was alone in the room. Seizing the opportunity, I decided to freshen up, my body stretching as I awakened from a restless slumber. The events of the night weighed on my mind, urging me to confront them. With a determined sigh, I stepped out of the cabin and found Dark near a crackling fire, tending to its flames.

A clutch of bird eggs rested nearby, a hint of a forthcoming meal. As I approached, the fallen branches crunched beneath my feet, alerting Dark to my presence. His gaze briefly met mine before returning to the flames.

"Hello", he said as he tossed another piece of wood in the fire.

"Goodmorning", I replied. Sitting across from him, I settled down by the fire, watching as its flames danced, emanating a gentle warmth. A few minutes passed before I urged myself to break the silence.

"I have to say", I started, hesitating whether I should even bring up the topic. My eyes fixed on Dark as he continued his tasks, cracking an egg onto a small metal slab. Taking a deep breath, I resumed. "Last night, I awoke and found you in distress, as if caught in a dream or perhaps a nightmare," I said, my voice gentle yet direct. "The intensity was such that it manifested in your physical form. Is there something troubling you?"