Chapter 12

Investigating the movement he had seen from afar, Dark ventured away from the campsite. As he approached the source of the rustling, he recognized the famous attire of the Yiga Clan. He previously had no issue taking them down, but he was well aware of their cunning and manipulative tactics, capable of ensnaring their victims with powerful mind games.

The footsoldier seemed to notice Dark's presence as he turned towards him, releasing an eerie and hysterical laugh before charging with a weapon in hand. A fierce fight broke out between them. Dark swiftly pulled out his shield, skillfully evading the enemy's attacks. The Yiga exhibited their signature ability to vanish and reappear, attempting to catch Dark off guard. However, Dark remained vigilant, and as the footsoldier reappeared behind him, lunging forward for an attack, he reacted with a deft motion, using his sickle to slash the foe. It was ironic, wielding the very weapon the Yiga Clan was infamous for to vanquish their own member.

Clearly injured, the soldier said one last thing before vanishing into thin air once more: "See you soon."

The words echoed in Dark's mind as he watched the soldier's disappearance with a mixture of annoyance and concern. The encounter had left him with more questions than answers, and he couldn't shake off the feeling that he was being watched. Why was he being followed? Would he fall victim to an ambush?

Determined not to let his guard down, Dark surveyed his surroundings, searching for any signs of potential danger. The forest was eerily quiet, the only sound being the gentle rustling of leaves in the breeze. He knew better than to underestimate his enemies, especially if they were from the Yiga Clan. Their mastery of deception and illusion made them formidable adversaries, capable of striking when least expected.

Dark took a deep breath before making his way back to the campsite, his expression more serious than before. He knew that vigilance was crucial, especially with the Yiga now aware of their presence.

Unfortunately, as he arrived, he immediately noticed her absence, detecting the rustling of foliage where she had recently passed. In that moment, devoid of hesitation, he gave chase. He pondered how audacious she was, and what actions he would take once he caught up with her. He felt a mix of disappointment and a glimmer of understanding. How could she run away from him, abandoning him to his quest. Anger welled up within him, but fear of never seeing her again flooded his thoughts. Was he angry because she lacked faith in him or because he couldn't control her?

As he continued his pursuit, a foreboding sensation overcame him. He paused momentarily, straining his senses for any sound and scanning attentively for any sign, perhaps an error. He was correct; there was movement, but from his vantage point, all he could discern was the encroaching redness in the air. And then it dawned on him—the presence of gloom spawns. They only materialized when detecting movement. This was the worst possible outcome, and Dark's throat felt parched, making it difficult to swallow. He clenched his jaw and tightened his grip on his weapon before advancing toward the malevolent creature. Unable to locate her anywhere, worry weighed heavily on his heart. Could she have perished? And even if he were to confront this entity, had she managed to elude him? Would he never lay eyes on her again?

Emotions surged through Dark's body, a potent mix of anger, fear, and determination fortifying his mind and unleashing a torrent of fury upon the encroaching darkness. His rationality succumbed to the overwhelming rage, and he was driven solely by his instinct to survive and protect. In this state, his strength seemed to amplify, and he fought with a merciless intensity, fixated on obliterating the looming threat before him.

As he struck with precision and skill, the gloom itself coalesced into the form of Phantom Ganon, Dark's proclaimed nemesis and the embodiment of malevolence. Though appearing as a mere shadow, the entity was formidable and exuded a sense of terrifying might. But Dark was unyielding, and amidst intense agony and the weight of their established feud, he battled relentlessly.

In a deadly dance of blades, Dark clashed with the monstrous entity. Each strike was fueled by pent-up rivalry and past encounters, with memories of suffering driving him to push beyond his limits. The battle was arduous and interminable, as if their very souls were entwined in a fierce struggle for supremacy.

Finally, with a surge of resolve, Dark delivered a final, decisive strike. His dagger found its mark, plunging deep into the throat of the shadowy entity. In a moment of triumph, he severed its head, vanquishing the darkness that had threatened to consume him. The air crackled with residual energy, the aftermath of a battle that had transcended mere physicality.

Exhausted and yet victorious, Dark kneeled amidst the dissipating gloom, his breaths ragged and his heart still racing with adrenaline. He had triumphed over the darkness, the embodiment of his fears and the malice that haunted him. The remnants of his fury slowly subsided, and he was left to contemplate the magnitude of the battle he had just fought.

Gathering the strength to rise, his determination to find her compelled him to take action. If she were still in this vicinity, she couldn't be too far, for the creature closely shadowed its prey.

While passing by a stone wall, he caught sight of her lying among the ruins and grass. She appeared injured and fragile, her cheeks slightly sunken as if her soul had been drained away. It was a distressing sight to behold, witnessing her in such a condition. The touch of gloom must have affected her.

Dark quickly reached out, searching for a pulse. Her skin felt cold to his touch, with dark marks visible on her legs. Yet, he detected a faint pulse, indicating her life still clung on.

Taking her into his arms, he held her close, one hand supporting her back, while her head rested against his chest and shoulder. With the other hand beneath her knees, he carried her to a place he deemed safer. Guilt accused him of putting her in this situation.