𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟒

The room's walls were a pale baby blue, with white skirting boards and a white door. It was calming - which was rare for this building. This forest. The entire decor of the bedroom followed the pattern of soft, light colours - the wood around the room (the bed frame, chairs - minus the cushioning, desk, drawers and bookshelf) was white, albeit with a few chips having worn away. In contrast, all of the softer surfaces were the same baby blue as the walls - minus the mattress of the bed I was sat on top of.

The duvet felt light - soft and almost cloud-like (poofy, in a sense). I sat with my back against the headboard, resting the stiffer, rectangular pillow in my crossed lap, instead. My hands mindlessly fiddled and played with the open slit and layers of the pillow as I looked to Cody - whom was more visible, now - with an inquisitive look, waiting for him to elaborate on his story. On our memory, more accurately.

The man sat with his back against the board at the end of the twin bed - unlike myself, he'd laid his legs out in front of him. He looked healthier - like he'd slept. The bags under his green hues had faded faintly. He was catching up on sleep, good. It did worry me when he'd stay up in his makeshift lab - I've walked in on him sleeping in his chair multiple times (one of which a CD had stuck itself to his cheek, probably from drool) - so it made me feel guilty knowing I'd worried him that much.

"So, it was coming up to my twelfth birthday - you'd recently come to the realisation that I was - am - y'know, from Spanish background, and you'd started asking questions around culture and all that. I'd mentioned that I liked albondigas, which is a meatball with extra stuff in it - like breadcrumbs, seasonings, butter, eggs, onions and other stuff - but I told you about a specific recipe that I used to make with my mom and you'd apparently gone home and asked your mom if she could make some for me, so you could give it to me as a gift." Cody recalled - a genuine smile on his face; one a bit bigger than the ones he'd usually offer.

"My mom was the one with the short haircut, right? Black hair, green eyes?" I asked (somewhat eagerly), continuing to gently pick at the fabric of the inner pillow.

A small chuckle left Cody, at my energy, as he began to nod. "Yeah, her name was Connie, she seemed nice." He answered, though paused - a more solemn expression beginning to fill his face: his eyes fell downward and his smile had weakened, significantly. Instead, it seemed reminiscent or bittersweet. "My mom loved them too - said that Connie was an amazing cook. She hadn't had them for a while either.." He trailed off, before hesitantly pushing his lips into a smile again, "Told me to thank her in person. So, I did - you took my round your house after school, the next day, and that's how I met your family - they let me stay for dinner and everything." The brunette hummed, his green eyes flicking back up to mine, "You were a good friend. I hope you know that."

That last comment caught me off guard, slightly. It's one of those times you know what someone's thinking, or their thoughts on something (at least), yet it still has that effect on you. I could tell that we got along, even as kids, but it felt oddly comforting to hear that.

"I can tell." I replied, a cocky smile pulling on my lips, lifting my cheeks to show a toothy grin as I closed my eyes slightly.

A small scoff left Cody as he rolled his eyes at my comment - though his smile seemed a little more genuine before, so regardless of his reaction, I knew he found it at least a little amusing.

"I'm sure you were a good friend too." I blurted out - though it wasn't in an uncomfortable or shocked manner, it seemed natural? But, it didn't feel like me. "Y'know?" I hesitantly added, shrugging slightly as I anxiously averted my gaze to the pillow, "I mean, you brought me these, too. You're a good friend now." I mumbled, gently tugging at the torso of the hoodie.

"Oh - yeah, that. Don't worry about it. Didn't want you stuck in a gown through the forest until you got to your cabin and all." Cody quietly replied - his smile wavering slightly as if he'd caught on to my sudden awkwardness.

"Still." I quietly retorted, before a small smile began to make it's way back onto my expression - albeit it still showing a faintly uncomfortable expression. I tossed the rectangular cushioning towards Cody, playfully. "Maybe you should take a rest from the lab - work on your reflexes." I teased, my smile growing.

Another scoff escaped his upturned, parted lips - a slight snort following the noise as he held the pillow to his stomach. "It was a pillow, not a threat. I think I'm fine." He replied, shaking his head ever so slightly before hesitantly tossing the pillow back, with little effort.

"I still think you should take a break." I sighed, allowing the pillow to lightly hit my shins. "You work hard and all. Take a break."

"But I enjoy working, Toby." Cody replied, an almost apologetic expression on his features, even though his tone sounded somewhat tired. "I'll think about it if I get into a slump-"

"Just - at least this afternoon?" I pleaded, wanting to try and spend some more time with him, instead of being background noise to his work - or making him multitask. "So we can talk - no distractions." I mumbled, quietly.

Hesitantly and slowly, he nodded. "Alright, but just tonight. I can't take too long off." Cody sighed, but did seem to smile. Whereas he did seem frustrated at my persistence, he did seem to be happy to continue talking - so, the idea couldn't be that bad after all. "So, what else did you wanna talk about?"