𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎

The drive into town was long and hellish. The heat had made the snack bag taste off - though I didn't have the heart to mention it to Cody (instead just continuing to quietly eat) - Jeff had been whining about the heat, lack of music and smell of the car, and Cody had ultimately threatened to turn the car around and make Jeff walk, a total of two times.

However, after some time, we'd finally gotten information from the ravenette; the woman went to the same café, every day, after work - it was placed on a little corner - and she would often disappear to a run-down warehouse afterwards. Slenderman had been watching her for a while, now. She apparently had a side job, whilst in college - studying something to do with psychology and waiting tables, or some bullshit like that. It didn't really matter in the end — we were meant to kill her, not sit her down for a cup of tea. I didn't understand delving into what she did, moreso where she did it and when; her personal life had nothing to do with me.

The rough hum of the car fell into a softer coo as the engine began to calm down - Cody had parked on the side of a street, opposing the small corner café. It looked rather plain; the bricks were the same red-orange colour as the rest of the rows of shops and consumerist destinations - a small tent-like roof hanging over the paling green door (its red and white stripes annoying me at the lack of thought put into the colours).

Cody turned to Jeff, his lips pressed together in an anxious, thin line - as if he was starting to figure out why we'd been left in the dark on our target. His dimples had seemingly deepened and his eyes holding a look that I hadn't really seen before. "Can I ask about her?" He hesitantly proposed - as if once more trying to compromise with the man.

A soft exasperation left Jeff. The man hadn't stopped facing the front - shrugging. "Sure." He replied. As much as I hated Jeff, I had to admit he was very good at his work - his pride did actually help with his indefatigable stalking and slaughtering. He was proficienct.

Cody's head hesitantly turned back to the café - his shoulders tense and his hands still gripping the wheel, tightly. His eyes had lingered on Jeff, as if he was dreading asking, yet it was urgent. "Does the girl have brown hair, purple eyes?" He pointed to his cheeks, "Freckles here? Y'know, roughly five foot?" Cody hesitantly asked, "Typically wears a dark blue hoodie?"

Jeff's brow furrowed, as his eyes tore away from the building, his head following in suite. "No?" He replied, before an almost twistedly sadistic smile contorted his features. "Why'da have a girl, before all this?"

"No." Cody had stated, firmly - though he'd visibly untensed at Jeff's clarification; his jaw and features had softened up as well as his grip on the steering wheel.

"I'da be shocked if it was Toby's - I know you an' mutt knew each of ya beforehand." Jeff retorted, keeping his amused expression as his gaze shifted back to the building.

"I'm in ear shot, dickhead." I commented, under my breath - sending a glare to the paler man by the mirror in the car. I didn't believe Cody when he said no - it sounded too defensive, to me. He probably lied to keep her safe - or at least divert the attention onto the target again.

Jeff turned around with a slight glare, before returning to his observation, "I don' care, Rogers." He grumbled.

"When have you?" I sighed, before placing my practically empty bag to the side and reluctantly leaning forward - resting both of my forearms on the shoulders of the seats in front of me. I looked to Cody, "So, uh-" I began, trying to keep my voice just above a whisper.

Cody had looked up to me, with a soft and somewhat concerned expression. "I'll explain later, okay?" He told me - speaking just as quietly as myself.

"She's gettin' in the car!" Jeff exclaimed, pointing towards a black vechile - which looked to be a SUV. Both mine and Cody's heads snapped towards the vechile, allowing the seat belt to gently drag me back to my seat.

"Shit-" Cody muttered, quickly turning the engine on and beginning to rev the car — his eyes not leaving sight of the now leaving vechile (the same as Jeff and me). He soon had the car up and running, wasting no time in beginning to follow, though she'd already gotten further down the street than we would've liked.

"Don't drive too fuckin' fast, idiot, she'll fuckin' catch on!" Jeff snapped, twisting his head harshly to Cody's direction as he shouted.

"What do you want me to do? Would you rather me lose her or let her know we're here - you probably did that shouting?!" Cody retorted, looking to Jeff with an equally annoyed expression.

"Guys she's turning the corner-" I pointed out - trying to keep track of her, seeing as everyone else was distracted.

"Well, at least I don't go round fucking one of the most two faced people known to mankind whilst in a relationship with someone-"

"Nina was a shit girlfriend!"

"They were a decent partner, maybe a little overbearing, but you're just a piece of shit, putilla!"

"Cody - indicate, it'll make us less obvious-"

The sound of the small bar behind the steering wheel being flicked, followed by the quiet clicking of the amber lights, was audible despite the arguing. At least I know he was still listening.

"Maybe they should have left you sooner - you're a bigoted asshole - stuck so far up your own arse that you can't smell the shit you're spewing, and honestly, I wouldn't mind leaving you by the side of the road, right now."

"Fuck off, Andrews." Jeff grumbled, narrowing his eyes - almost like an angry squint. Jeff was pissed - but more obviously hurt. He was known for dishing out what he couldn't take, himself - and Cody was known for... Well, being quiet, if I was honest - but I knew he could quite "happily" handle situations like this one.

And - I couldn't feel guilty for him. He's arrogant, crude - selfish and stubborn. I can't pinpoint one redeemable quality about him.

There was a silence in the car - a very uncomfortable, high tension silence.

"Boss told me notta show y'all the photo." Jeff grumbled - glaring at his lap, still, "Don't know why're on the job."

"I don't care right now." Cody replied, keeping his stern tone - yet speaking a lot quieter, now. Though, he sighed, "I think she's realised that we were following her - was the warehouse near the old police station - bad neighbourhood?" He asked, glancing to Jeff briefly.

"Yeah."

With a small sigh, Cody nodded, "I know where that is, then." He mumbled, glancing to me via the mirror, "We used to go there sometimes." He added, "I can get us there quicker - a different route to her, so she might still go over there. We'll get there quicker than her, too."

I decided to break the silence that lingered after, offering a clearly forced and uncomfortable smile. "Let's get going then."