𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟏

I took another lunge-like step through the thick layer of snow; a soft, compressed crunch leaving the floor as I walked through. Denver had finally caught up to the calendar (December seventh, I believe), gifting the forest with a foot or two of settled snow - the thick precipitation already decorated with tracks; bird, fox, human. But not the animal I was looking for. Nina and the group had the wonderful idea of telling me to get Cody a gift - and whereas I couldn't draw, I was more than confident in my ability to catch a rabbit. He did say he liked them after all.

Did he forget to feed that mouse? Well, yes. However, that was for using as a test for his latest version of the virus, not a pet. This was going to be a pet - and pets were like family. Right?

I let out a sigh, tugging the sides of my coat over my body more - the thick, navy blue fabric over my white turtleneck. I'd taken this coat from a hiker I'd killed last year; from what I could tell, it did it's job well. I couldn't tell if it was keeping me warm, but it was better than a hoodie. Though, I hadn't zipped it up in fear of overheating.

What was pissing me off is that I had spotted a rabbit; it was brown, small and lanky - and it'd darted off in this direction, but somehow hadn't left any noticeable tracks behind. I let out an exasperation, watching a thin mist of my breath float upwards.

I took another step, almost losing my balance - but using a tree just ahead of me like a stabilizer. My fingers gently gripped the bark as I scanned the area - nine o'clock sat a small creature, a light brown - nearly golden with a white ball of cotton stuck to it.

"There you are, you little shit." I muttered under my breath, trying to tread quietly against the snow - using lighter steps and advancing when it started to sink. It was hard to creep up on a rabbit.

The creature's long ears folded backwards, like it was aware of me quietly approaching it - though it hadn't made an attempt to flee.

I hesitated, freezing and allowing my boots to sink into the snow - my eyes glued to the rabbit. The animal's head snapped to the side, it's wide hazel eye staring back at me as it's button nose scrunched up and twitched.

"Hey there lil guy-" I began, forcing a sweet tone to my voice as I pushed a smile onto my paled features - revealing my teeth. I slowly outstretched an arm - lowering it towards the rabbit. "-Just stay right there." I continued, watching it kick it's back legs against the ground, creating a thumping noise.

As I got closer, the rabbit went to bolt, causing me to dive at it - wrapping my arms around the creature and pulling it closer to my chest as it began letting out loud, bird-like noises. I could feel it struggling against my torso as I attempted to sit up, instead of being stuck laid down with an angry rabbit.

As I began to push my bent knees forward, they snow pushed snow forward - consequently hitting my stomach and the pissed off Easter bunny. This only seemed to distress it more. The screams only got louder. I needed to act and think fast - I'm not too good at the latter.

I quickly rolled backwards, so I was sat down - scooping the feral creature against my chest as it continued to wriggle and quick outwards. "You're an asshole." I grumbled, looking down to the animal in my arms, attempting to shift it so I was holding it like a baby. "He's gonna love you."

The rabbit only retaliated with a twitching nose and kicking my arm away when I attempted to tickle its stomach.

Giving up, I sighed and began to trudge through the snow - being a little more careless (kicking the powder instead of sinking into it). "Let's go get you to Cody." I hummed, glancing down to the softly grunting creature. Now I was looking at a less aggressive version of it, it was kinda cute; its comically large ears and bizarre face, with such a small nose. Like a small kangaroo. "He should name you Joey. Or Rocky. Thumper, Roger, Jessica, Lola and Bugs are way too obvious. Plus, you're the wrong colour for all of those except for maybe Lola." I rambled, beginning to glance around, "You were a shithead to catch, y'know that, right?"