𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟓

When we'd parked the car where we'd found it, in the woods, Cody hadn't hesitated to get out - walking over to Jeff's door and prying it open. He tossed the keys to the man, with a glare, instead holding his hand out. "Syringe. Now." He demanded - his voice was firm though it was quiet. He wasn't very sociable, so having to deal with a jerk - a narcissistic jerk - was probably draining him quicker.

When the ravenette had passed the object over, with a glare, Cody had stuffed it in his small bag - beginning to walk off.

Of course, this had caused me to get out of the car and quickly catch up - unbuckling the seat belt and not bothering to close the car door, opting to jog up to the man. "What argument did we have?" I hesitantly asked, looking up to him. I was desperate to know - why didn't he tell me?

"Can we talk about this tomorrow?" Cody sighed, looking to me with an exhausted expression - his eyes held a certain dullness, one similar to ones I recognised in my own. They seemed to be weighed down by the slowly appearing bags underneath them. "Toby, I'm just - I'm so fucking tired." He mumbled, averting his gaze to the forest floor in front of us. He wasn't tired, he was sad. Maybe both - but, I knew him well enough to know that when Cody said tired he meant sad or drained.

I slowly nodded, giving him an apologetic expression, "Okay - we can talk about it tomorrow." I replied quietly - offering him a small smile, though I was worried, and I think it showed.

"Yeah." He mumbled in response - his voice barely audible, quickly walking off - though it wasn't in the direction of the manor or his cabin.

I watched him walk off - grimacing in frustration. He was always willing to help, but never accepted it, himself. But I was one to talk.

I mean, there were other people I liked, here. Other people I could talk to. There was Brian and Tim. Nina, too. That's three people. Liu and Kate weren't bad either, though Kate was quiet and Liu was a suck up for Jeff... so, I had three people I could talk to, other than Cody.

I began to walk steadily forward, towards the manor. Maybe I could use this time to look into other issues - like the TV room.

I walked through the gaps of the trees - noting my way with the occasional glimpse of a cabin and rare sight of a page. It shouldn't be too long until the building came into view. Cody had mentioned that it might have been an old hotel, from the early nineteen hundreds. And, since hotels were used as emergency hospitals during the wars, it'd explain why there were (out-dated) medical supplies and so many rooms available.

And, the room I was thinking of was on the third floor.

The travel to the manor wasn't as long without Jeff nagging me, and with my thoughts to keep me occupied. I hated to admit it, but it did look nice with the sunset - the way the sky melted from a dark blue into a soft yet brazen gold, like it was being emitted from the glowing ball of sky gas gave the manor a more peaceful feeling. The slowly eroding building looked still. The dirtied bricks, covered in thick web and dark vines, and the stained, murky windows looked static. The lack of life was calming, for once.

I get why he wanted to be alone, I do. Sometimes it's nice.

When I got to the door I immediately pushed it open, slipping through and half-heartedly knocking it closed, back into it's frame. I didn't bother glancing around - I knew the layout and I unfortunately knew the people. I glanced upwards, only to look to the stairs to see if they were clear. Without a second thought, I jogged to the steps - using the banister to once again pull me forward.

I didn't see why they needed so many rooms - even if it was a hotel, before, they had cabins. Three floors were unnecessary. It felt unnecessary.

Eventually I reached the top floor - my head immediately turning to look at the off-white door. The sight alone was enough to cause my speed to pick up - reaching it in no time.

I wrapped my palm around the brass door knob, twisting it as I threw my side against the wood. It didn't budge. Right, it was locked. With a sigh, I fell to my knees - cocking my head to the side as my squinted eyes looked through the small keyhole. Darkness. I didn't even get to see what was inside. There had to be a key - though it was probably in the thing's office. I was desperate but not that desperate.

Who would have a bobby pin? Or an axe? Well, I did have my hatchets - just inside my cabin. I am not walking up those stairs again, though.

I glanced to Cody's lab. Maybe he had something in there?

I rose to my feet, walking over to the end of the hallway - confidently twisting the doorknob with a small nudge, only to be given the same treatment. Cody locked it. Fucking smartass.

Maybe there was something in the other (abandoned) rooms? There were three other rooms. Me and Cody had spent time in the room in between his lab and the TV room, and I don't think there was anything useful in there. So that left two rooms.

The first room was covered in canvases - the walls were a piss yellow, with a white ceiling and carpet. The furniture hadn't been moved - still neatly presented. The bed was made, and there weren't any blotches of paint on it at all, which was surprising as the covers and metal framing was white. In front of the white, worn wardrobe was a wooden easel - a canvas currently placed on it.

Curiousity got the better of me - I walked over to it, looking at the painting in progress. So far, there was an amalgamation of colours - paler ones in the shape of a soft face, with pinker shades over what I believe would eventually be easily identified as cheeks. There was the beginning of eyes - that looked to have a joyful shape - and a slit like smile. The hair seemed to be tied up with a bow, from the faint pencil outline that was there.

Helen was painting Nina. Cute. I mean, it was a change from the grotesque yet oddly beautiful paintings he'd hung around the room - they were of detailed, picturesque scenes, with equally detailed, mutilated bodies.

I didn't understand the need to mix your work with your sex life, but good for you, Helen.

There probably wasn't anything in there.

The door to the last room was stiff, but it opened. It was cluttered - everywhere. If it wasn't for the unnerving Victorian-child's-room decor, I would've cheered. It was a goldmine. A dusty, creepy goldmine.

The walls were a dull, darker grey - with another white ceiling which also had circular patterns to it. I think they were called swirled ceilings. The flooring were rectangular boards of hickory wood. In the corner was a white cot - with mindless clutter surrounding it on the floor. I began to walk towards it, bending over and picking up stuffed brown bear that sat on top the majority of the heap. I looked it over - the missing eye standing out most to me. Though, it wouldn't help me get through that door, so I happily tossed it aside. Most of the clutter was nonesense that added to the uneasy vibe that the room gave off - porcelain dolls and small books and trinkets.

However, another object that caught my attention was the small, colourful  wind-up box. The sides were striped with the colours of the rainbow - red to orange to yellow to green to blue and to purple. My hand naturally went to the bright red handle, as I read the white, curly handwriting on the top of the box, "~ ᒍᗩᑕK ~" Great, another one? I almost went to push the lever, but paused upon seeing the pictures that decorated it. Drawings of candy and lollipops lined the top and bottom sides of the box, and that was fine - expected. However, the outlined of the laughing clown on the top of the box made me hesitate.

I tossed the box to the side - hearing it squeak almost like a dog toy. "Fucking hate clowns." I muttered.

My eyes continued to scan the clutter, landing on a wooden handle - protruding from the pile. My hands wrapped around the item, pulling it out. A sleek, shiny red axe head followed - earning a small smile to tug at my lips. Perfect.