𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟔

"I can't believe your dad is making you do a sport." I muttered, my eyebrows furrowing in a mix of emotions - confused, annoyed and frustrated. It seemed trivial, complaining about an extra curricular, but Cody's dad hadn't exactly been a dad, from what I heard. He mostly worked - he didn't even cook, it was mostly ordered or he'd have someone cook for them - which Cody had overly expressed as being one of his dad's friends, to which has only lead to me internally questioning the truth. They'd only ever really talk when eating, too. He only ever seemed bothered to talk about Cody's education, on top of that. He wanted his adoptive son to take up a sport to help get a scholarship, which would be hard enough with Cody's habit of skipping classes. But it wasn't even to bond over - it was for a cheaper ride in college, and to make things worse, I'm pretty sure this guy has some money to his name too.

"Yeah." Cody replied, shrugging slightly with an obviously forced, small smile. "But, hey, got a free baseball bat out of it." He replied, glancing to me as we strolled around the field.

A small scoff left me as I looked up to him - he went through a big growth spurt from the last time we'd talked in person. Apparently his dad tried making him go to a few other schools, out of town. I'm glad he'd come back here, though. He used to be shorter than me - around 5"5, now he was something like 5"8. "And what good is a baseball bat gonna do you?" I teasingly asked.

Once again, he shrugged, looking towards the games of soccer being played on the astro turf. "I dunno. I was thinking maybe we could use it when we go into the forest?" He suggested, glancing back to me.

A snort escaped me, and seeing his expression fall into one of confusion and disgust only encouraged another to slip out.

"No, no, what are you thinking? What did you think I meant by that?-" He rambled, his eyebrows furrowed and his eyes faintly squinted with distaste, "In fact no, don't tell me, I don't wanna know-" Cody quickly added, closing his eyes tightly as he shook his head, turning to look away from me.

I felt a grin forming on my face, "I thought you meant for monster hunting, why, what did you think I meant?" I replied, trying to fake a confused tone, but it was ruined by the urge to laugh wavering my voice.

The brunette's head quickly snapped back to my direction, sending me a small glare, "That is not what you were thinking, Toby." He grumbled, pointing to me as he spoke, but lowering his hand as he finished.

"I think you need to get your head out of the gutter." I hummed, speaking in a matter of factly tone as I lifted my head up slightly - as if proud of myself.

A small scoff escaped Cody as he shook his head, wound up by my teasing, "No- no, you need to get your head out of the gutter - you made it dirty. Not me." He argued, muttering afterwards, "Dumbass."

"¡Tu madre está enamorada de los camiones de bomberos!" I jokingly snapped, faking a glare at Cody - though became confused when his face contorted into a smile, like he was repressing a laugh - his dimples looked more evident as he tried to hide his expression by trying to force a grimace. "What? What's funny?" I asked, defensively.

"You're failing Spanish, aren't you?" He light heartedly quizzed, "I mean, you managed to get 'your mom loves' right, this time." Cody teased, shaking his head as he finally let out a small chuckle.

"I infact am not failing Spanish as I no longer take it-"

"That only explains what I just heard even more, that or you're just getting more creative."

"Why, what did I say?" I asked, tilting my head to the side as my brow furrowed.

With a snort, he shook his head - denying me the knowledge of my mistake, "I'm more curious to what you meant to say-" He teased.