𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟎

I laid along the couch, letting out a dramatic, exasperated sigh - my head against one of the arms as my feet hung off the end of the arm. My gaze was fixed on the wooden ceiling as I tried to tune out Jane's ramblings. It wasn't going too well.

"It absolutely baffles me that Jeff hasn't been caught, yet. He's not only a narcissist, but he's also a serial killer. Serial killers have patterns or behaviours or some sort of signature that they like to leave." The woman rambled, obviously to Helen who was just sat there listening (probably). "So, are the police around here dense, or is Jeff just so incompetent he can't follow a pattern?"

"I don't know." Helen mumbled.

"Well it must be the police! He has to be seen - most serial killers do. I mean, what's the point of killing - making a statement - if no one knows who did it?" She continued, "What's the point of creating fear if no one knows who to be scared of?"

A silence followed - Helen was either tired or thinking about what Jane had to say. I mean he did have a pattern. He would make artwork from the body; either contorting it into some fucked up sculpture or using the blood (sometimes organs) to 'paint' something just as grotesque. Then, he'd make documentation afterwards - painting the crime scene. I mean, he was pretty good at art though.

As much as I hated to admit it, there were quite a few of us that did follow our own patterns. Jeff, Jack, Clockwork, Cody and Helen. That's like, six out of all eleven of us. The manor was a lonely, repetitive place when it came to company. There used to be twelve; I missed Lou.

Jeff loved to be as messy as possible (usually gutting victims) - but no matter how much he destroyed the body, he'd always leave the face preserved for people to identify the slit smile he'd carve in. Well, except for maybe Jane. I hadn't actually seen what was under the mask. And come to think about it - it was kinda fucked up that Jeff cut a smile into Nina too, it's like he knew they were a victim of his.

Similar to Jeff, Clockwork would actively try and make a mess - either making an effort to remove organs with excess gore and brute force, or making the death loud and dragged out. She didn't care how messed up the bodies looked - including the face, which is a clear indicator between her and Jeff.

However, Eyeless Jackass was always so "sophisticated" and "clean". He'd use some form of paralytic before they would make insertions and get the food that it needs to eat - sometimes being vital organs. What a pompous prick - imagine going to college.

Cody's method of killing was both obvious and secretive. You could see a pattern of people he would attack - frail, old, weak - but rarely with any underlying illness, such as a common cold or flu. That, and he would typically inject them with a new (or current) strain of virus he was working on. This was what character profile one could build of him - but he did sometimes underestimate targets, which would cause him to beat them to death (with the baseball bat with nails hammered into it) so not all of his kills would be "linked" to him.

I didn't think that I had a reoccurring killing style, or one that had a signature to it - I just swung. Heck, my weapons varied.

"I thought it was obvious that the police 'round here were shit." I grumbled, allowing my head to roll towards Jane's direction. "I mean, most of us are only just adults. How are we evading police so well if they're not shit?"

For a second I thought I heard the woman chuckle.

"Or it could be something to do with the tree man." Nina called out, emerging from a room. My head turned to them - seeing that they had changed their wardrobe; they'd kept the scene highlights (and amazing haircut I gave them), kept their purple hoodie (after ripping the sleeves off to leave raggedy ends to the body) with a dark long sleeved shirt underneath (that also donned rips). They wore a pair of dark grey, shorts and their striped socks. They wore a singular, black fingerless glove and an oversized red belt. It was kinda punk.

"Don't refer to that thing as that." I huffed, rolling my head back against the sofa's arm.

"And why not?" They retorted - their smug smile almost audible, along with the kiss they gave Helen.

I rolled my eyes, "Well, for starters it reminds me of the Lorax." I answered - despite my light heartedness I didn't manage to muster up the comedic tone I wanted. I didn't get much sleep last night.

Nina giggled, "Let me guess, you liked Cat in the Hat more?" They asked.

"No, I just don't like Dr whatever the fuck. Zeus or something." I snapped, rubbing my eyes.

"Someone seems cranky." Jane pointed out, "Did something happen?" She asked - her amused tone fading when she questioned me.

My head rolled to the woman's direction, as I sighed. "Yes, I'm perfectly happy, Jane. Why do you ask?" I retorted, though it sounded more like a complaint.

She only gave me a small nod, her blank expression, or moreso the mask's blank expression, not leaving me. "If you say so." She mumbled.

"I didn't sleep." I reluctantly muttured, turning to look to the ceiling again.

"Were you thinking about the arguement?" Nina asked, a concerned tone lacing their words. I only grimaced.

"No-"

"What arguement?"

"Toby fell out with Cody - that's why he's been hanging out with us!"

"Oh, if he misses Cody then why doesn't he draw him a picture? Like a gift."

"As lovely as that sounds baby, I don't quite think Toby drawing is such a good idea. But he could get him a gift."

"I'm sorry, who is Cody?"

"Oh, you haven't met him yet, Jane - if you're not close with him, he'd rather you call him X-"

"Everyone, shut up, please." I groaned, my hands beginning to rub my face, "Nina, first of all, fuck you. That drawing of Jeff was beyond gorgeous in every sense of the word. You yourself said it captured his essence. Second of all - everyone - I do miss Cody, but that has nothing to do with why I didn't sleep. I had a flashback and was then taunted by a fucking demon child thing. I threw something at it and it disappeared. Kinda like when you look away and the spider vanishes." I rambled, "Can we just drop it?"

A silence followed, until Nina broke it.

"Well, if you do miss him, you could take a gift with you, since you're bad with your words and you probably left him in the dark about all of this." They mumbled quietly.

Why did they have to be right? I felt my face contort like a drawstring was pushing all my features in. Of course I was pissed off - what happened to having my space? But then again, he did look so confused and kind of relieved when I saw him yesterday. Fucking people.

I reluctantly began to drag myself off of the sofa. "I'm not leaving because I'm getting him a gift, I'm leaving to get fresh air and people are yuck." I announced, heading to the cabin door.

"Tell Cody I said hi?" Nina asked, smiling at me with a tilted head. I only glared in response as I grabbed onto the door handle.

"I won't be able to because I'm not visiting him!"