𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟔

The axe head lodged itself snuggly into the door - causing a grunt to force it's way out of me as I pulled harshly back, nearly stumbling into the banister behind me. A sharp block of wood had flung itself out - falling onto the carpet and exposing a small sliver of the dark room. I took a step forward, lifting the weapon up again as I flung it forward - the sound of metal thudding into the wood and cutting filled the floor. A few chips flew out as I pulled the tool out of the hole, creating a larger window to look inside the room.

With more light pooling in, I could see that the floor looked bare. It seemed empty. No carpet or chairs. I couldn't see anything like that yet.

I reached my hand through the gaping, shabby hole in the door, reaching around to fiddle with the inner door handle - feeling a slight nib to it. I twisted the small bump - rotating it clockwise. When it stopped moving, I quickly retracted my arm - instead beginning to fiddle with the handle, successfully turning the door knob and pushing it open.

I dropped the axe, beginning to walk inside. There wasn't a single light source except for the lighting from the hallway, which caused an eerie glow around what was visible. I glanced around the floor - which seemed to be worn, lightly coloured wooden boards. In the corners of where the light stretched, thick cylinders laid discarded in piles, looking like snakes wrapping around each other hidden in the shadows. I hesitantly took a few steps towards some that were closer to me - bending over to pick a few of them. They were heavier than I expected, with a rough slightly bumped texture - the skin looking like scales. I gently ran my thumb over one - these were cables. I dropped the majority of them, instead clinging to one - the rubber was black, looking like a dark grey when it reflected the light behind me. My eyes travelled up it, following it into the abyss. Maybe it lead to the TV? Where else was it gonna go to?

I gave it a slight tug, of course it had some resistance, but it did move. However, my eyes had flickered to the glow of blue that came from the back of the room. That was the TV.

"I am so fucking smart." I muttered, of course under my breath as I was alone. But, I was the one about to uncover the TV situation - if I got it working, maybe I'd have more than four people to hang out with. I mean, I wasn't Cody smart, but I knew my way around things - especially technical stuff. I'd gotten that crappy car going more times than I could count.

I dropped the cable, quickly running over to the TV - kneeling down in front of it with a growing smile. The blue glow meant that it worked, it turned on. My hands held either side of the dark, clunky block, eyes boaring into the screen - an excited, hopeful glint sparking inside.

"What the fuck do you mean no input?!" I snapped, feeling my brow fall and my vision narrowing. The small capitals in the top left corner of the screen only angered me. "You're surrounded by cables and not one is connected to you and working?!" I slapped the side of the television, glaring at it. The screen glitched - the blue being interrupted with black lines distorting the image, before it flickered black.

"Shit shit shit-" I grumbled, smacking the side again. Rule one with broken old things, smack it. Two - if it doesn't work, turn it off and on again. Three is to check the wiring. I was pleading it wouldn't have to be the third.

I continued to smack it, each time I hit the box my palm collided with it with more force. "Piece of shit." I groaned, placing my head against the top of the TV as I closed my eyes - my hands now resting on either side of the TV. "Everything in this stupid place is broken." I sighed. I wasn't going to bother turning it off and on again, and there were too many cables to count. At least this was an itch out of my head.

I let go of the TV, standing up as I pivoted on my foot. It was worth a shot, eh? And if anyone asks, that hole in the door could've been made with anyone. Pin it on Jeff - he has anger issues.