𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟗

The walk towards the edge of the forest was long - even longer with Jeff around. He'd refused to give us any more details about this girl that we were meant to "terminate" - or at least prevent her from getting closer to Slenderman, the 'manor' and us. For all me and Cody knew, this was just some random loser with nothing better to do with her time - or a police officer, a well known journalist. Someone that will be noticed if she went missing.

To make things worse, Jeff had a picture of this woman - that Brian had taken, when she'd wondered into the woods, and somehow survived - and he was refusing to show us that. We were being lead by an idiot, and this bitch had plot armour. We were screwed.

"Jeff, we need to know what this girl looks like so we can catch her?" I tried reasoning, an exhausted sigh escaping my lips as we made our way to the bashed up car that was parked by a tree. The red, scratched vechile was often used by Tim and Brian - it was cheap and old, so it was probably from their college days. The condition was poor enough to not bother fixing the paint job, and that the car's badge was missing. We were lucky that the AC and radio worked.

Jeff took the keys out of his pocket - shaking his head, "Yain't seein' shit," He repeated, furrowing his brow when I took his keys from him, "Don'tcha think I should be drivin'?" He interjected, an unamused expression crossing his features - despite the upturned scars in his cheeks.

"I trust Toby behind the wheel more than I trust you."

"Thank you!" I beamed, smiling triumphantly as I sent a smug look to Jeff (who only glared in response), turning to Cody to continue talking, only for my smile to fall as he took them out of my grasp.

"But I trust myself behind the wheel even more than I do either of you."

I huffed, watching the man begin to walk to the driver's door - unlocking the car and sliding inside. I began to follow - the passanger seat wasn't so bad - only to be pushed passed, by Jeff. I sent the ravenette a glare. "Watch it, dick."

Jeff only raised his eyebrows, even though he only had one, smugly beginning to smile and shrug his shoulders. "Shouldn' I sit next to the driver, mutt? I have the picture." He sneered with a faint chuckle in tow, cocking his head to the side before tearing his gaze away from me. He casually slipped inside the car, taking the seat next to Cody.

With a grumble under my breath, I hesitantly took the seat, in the back, behind Jeff's - slamming the door closed once I was in. I'd grabbed ahold of my seatbelt, beginning to push it into it's lock as I listened to their conversation.

"Jeff, I'm going to need to see the photo of this girl - I'm driving, so what if we see her down the road? What are you gonna do, grab a hold of the wheel so we swerve and hit her?" Cody had stated - his latter elaboration clearly being sarcastic.

"Mm, I were thinkin' that I ough' to say somethin', but that works jus' as fine." Jeff chuckled in retaliation, a rather sadistic tone to his words. Obviously.

"Of course it does." Cody mumbled as the sound of the engine came to life - instead of a relaxing hum, the noise was more clankly and hoarse, like an elderly person having a coughing fit after getting out of bed.

I quietly muttered under my breath about how clunky the seatbelt was - sighing in relief when it finally clicked.

"Boss gave me the picture, that means boss gave me the job." Jeff snarkily remarked. "Jus' prefers me. Trusts me more." He continued, vainly. It baffled me how he was proud of being that thing's favourite.

"But he also put us on the mission too." I commented, furrowing my brow as I looked to the back of the man's head. This caused his expression to contort into some form of frustration - his eyes narrowed and his jaw clenched. I saw the grey hues flicker to my direction, in the gap between the headrest and the seat itself. "That means it's our responsibility too."

"Toby has a point, Jeff." Cody added, glancing from the opening of the woods to the slit-mouth man; his hands on the wheel, ready to drive once we'd gotten the information out of Jeff.

"Just drive." The man grumbled in retaliation - the snappy tone to his words making them more distinct and weakened his more country accent.

With a sigh, Cody began to navigate his way out of the woods - hesitantly taking a hand off of the wheel to lift down the sun visior - the light grey flap stiffly moving with Cody's (fingerless) gloved hand. Despite the car's murky windows, rays of the sun managed to pass through - and they were rather distracting. "Then you have to communicate the plan with us properly - or make one with us." He began, with a small sigh. It amazed me how calm he managed to stay whilst trying to compromise with this narcissistic twat.

"We follow'er 'round her schedule, and when she's at a vulnerable spot. Bam." Jeff casually explained, as if it was obvious, looking out the front window as he spoke - lightly speaking with his hands (a trait I hated sharing with him).

"Well, we need to know her schedule then," Cody explained, "Where she works - the times, where she typically goes to eat and hang out - with who she's close to-" He continued in an almost anxious ramble. I don't think he was scared of missing the target or upsetting Jeff - if anything I feel like he was scared of it and the consequences of "failing" it. That, or he was trying to avoid becoming irate with the man - something I didn't really care about.

I swiftly lifted a leg up - kicking it forward so it hit the cheap, old seat in front of me (of the same colour as the sun visior), causing it to jolt forward before slotting back into place. Consequently, Jeff had also flung forward - his head smacking the dashboard. "Yeah, klutz." I snickered.

With a groan, Jeff sat back up - cradling his already damaged nose with a hand. "Fuck off, asshat." He growled, brow knitting together as he looked back to me.

"Maybe if you put on a seatbelt that wouldn't be an issue-"

"Toby-" Cody began, cutting himself off with a grimace and a sigh - glancing to me by using the small, rectangular mirror placed on the roof. "Just - eat your snacks."

I averted my gaze back to my pockets, pulling the transparent, resealable bag out. I looked at it, flipping it around in my hands, wanting to know what was to offer; bran flakes, raisins, dried apricot, apple slices - cut up almonds. I mean, shit, it was a good mix.

"Fine." I huffed, beginning to open the bag up - sending a glare to Jeff.