🩸Betrayal (pt.21)🩸

"H-Harper?" I whimpered, taking a few steps back.
He laughed, "Oh, sweetheart, this is all your fault."

"What are you-"

Harper struck me with the knife, directly into my stomach.

Stumbling back, I let out a harsh, stinging scream of pain and bumped into a tree behind me. Sliding down against the trunk onto the ground.

I looked down at the knife that had been jabbed into me.

The pain spiraled through my entire body like fiery cracks of electricity. It was lightning.

Blood dripped out from the large cut. I squinted at it with furrowed brows, tears escaping me and rolling down my face.

"Shit!" I groaned loudly, screeching as the pain didn't end or get better.

"Marine..." Harper chuckled, "I've thought about this. I've dreamed about this," fake sympathy twinged his voice.

"I've decided I hate you. And it's all your fault,"
"N-no...no," I gasped, choking on my blood. He kneeled down to face me and wiped the blood from my lips, an evil smile crept across his face.

"I do care about Cleodare. And you fucking set her back. Why do you think I help you when it only benefits her? You don't deserve her," he growled. "She could die with you around,"

"And if it's not about her? I did it to make myself look good, and she still didn't trust me."

"I wonder why." I coughed.

He laughed, "Keep sassing all you want, Marine. You're going to fucking bleed out. Especially after I'm done with you."

"You...don't care.. about her," I spat. My words could barely be heard through the blood spurting out of my mouth.

"Cleodare..." He hummed innocently, "She's one of the only people who can get us out of this little problem with the vampire population. She's one of the only ones who doesn't feel remorse when she kills. And she's so focused on you, Marine, while we're all fucking dropping like flies,"

"maybe if you're gone, she can come to her senses and start the turnings again. She used to lead all the rituals, you know."

In my hustled breathing, I snapped my eyes shut and let the dark forest consume me, praying it was all a dream. "N-no..."

"Oh yes, close your eyes, sweetheart. I hope you don't open them again."

I could hear the branches on the ground shift as he stood. "Maybe you shouldn't have gotten your life entangled with a vampire!"

My eyelids were drooping as I hazily opened them again.

"D-did you really think...sh-she'd listen to you after this?" I mewled.

"Oh, we have operations for cooperation," he smiled deceitfully. "I'm honestly surprised she hasn't had one done yet..."

His grip came to the handle of the knife and I watched as he slowly pulled it out, causing me to whimper in pain.

Blood started pouring out of my wound, my hands instinctively covered it, trying to repair it with pressure. It was everywhere, spilling through my fingers. And he looked hungry.

Harper licked the knife clean, stepping towards me. Before I heard quick shuffling, running through the forest. Running towards us.

"Oh dear... looks like the lady herself's here! Sadly, I can't stay, the sun is coming up, don't you know?"