🩸Unique Abilities (pt.61)🩸

~March 20th, 2041~

Melanie walked through the front door, throwing her bag onto the counter. Theo quickly followed in after her, closing the door behind him.

"How was school?" I asked with a small smile.
"It was fine- so, um, Mom," Melanie started.

I smiled, "What's up?"

"You know when you and your gay brother have a crush on the same guy?"

I paused for a moment, before glancing over at Theo.

He avoided eye contact, looking completely flustered, his cheeks pink.

"I can't say I have ever experienced that, no," I said.

"Well what do you do?"

"I haven't interacted with a man in...years," I told her, mostly sarcastic. "You'll have to ask your mother. She knows about that stuff."

"Men?"

"It appears you got stuck with the worst parents for this job, lovely." I took a small sip of my tea.

Melanie rolled her eyes and yanked her bag off the counter, running up the stairs.
Theo began to wash out his water bottle, which wasn't filled with water, but blood. It was completely opaque, so no one would know.

"Is he cute?" I asked.
He ever so slowly looked up at me, concerned.

"Mom." He said sternly.

"Sorry," I replied. "I'm trying to be supportive."
"You sound like an ally. That's wrong in so many ways," he muttered.

Nothing but the running of the sink was heard for a while. Then he twisted the knob of the faucet, turning it off.

"Yes, he's cute," he whispered.
"Good, don't be with someone ugly."
"M-Mom!"

I looked at him wide-eyed and grabbed my mug. "Sorry."

I innocently walked over to the sofa and plopped down next to Cleo, who was in the middle of painting her nails but was constantly getting distracted by the reality show on the TV screen.

"Do you want me to do it? Wouldn't want you to miss out on this totally real drama," I scoffed.

She hummed and smiled, then she handed me the bottle of black nail polish. I gently took her hand and rested it on my thigh so I could do a better job.

While painting her nails, I half listened to the staged drama on TV. Cleo was completely hooked, though. I wasn't sure if she knew it was fake. Sometimes being so old also made her an impressionable toddler.

"Is this all that's on?" I asked once I finished with her nails.
"I'm not sure, I just watch whatever comes on first."

She was like an old person and a toddler all in one. Which honestly sounded like hell.

"You never wanted to learn how to use the remote," I said. "You literally don't know how to change the channel."

I could hear Theo trying to hold in his laugh from the kitchen.

"Leave me alone," she scoffed, yanking the nail polish from me.

I stifled a laugh and picked up my book, taking a sip of my tea. I flipped to the last page I'd been on and started at the top.

A few minutes passed, I'd learned how to tune out noises when I'd been reading with toddlers around. The TV was nothing compared to crying and the constant "Mommy!"

Melanie suddenly rushed down the stairs and ran to Cleo's side.

"Mama!"
"Mm?" She turned to look at her.
"H-how do I get a boyfriend?"