🩸Dolls (pt.45)🩸

(A/N, barely scraped 2000 words with this one 🫢)

Since Theodore was one-month old, I officially had opinions on vampire babies.

The pregnancy had been incredibly difficult. The headaches had been terrible, and still were. Not to mention the sharp burns whenever he'd moved. How he'd kick my ribs, which Melanie had done too, but not with as much strength as Theo had.

He must've been planning his future as a martial artist in there or something.

However, the reward was amazing. Theodore was beautiful and we were both completely healthy, although recovering was a little harder for me this time around. He slept like a rock. Cleo wasn't quite sure if it was because he was a vampire, or that he was just an extremely sleepy newborn. We had to wake him up ourselves to give him the time awake he needed.

Although Theodore had been easy to handle, labor with him had been so tough on me Cleo kept insisting that I just stay in bed most of the time.

"Mommy!" Melanie tumbled into our sheets. We'd been hanging out a lot since Cleo had forced me into bed. She'd come to watch baking shows with me.

I felt terrible, though. Cleo looked absolutely exhausted. But every time I'd tell her how I felt about all the work she was doing, she'd assure me she was fine.

However, with a toddler and a newborn, who still needed to be awake in strict three hour intervals, three times a day, it seemed to be extremely hard on her. She wasn't supposed to be handling it all by herself.

"Which one today?" I clicked through all the channels.
"Cookie!" She giggled.
"Sounds good."

Melanie typically liked to watch the cookie baking shows. I think looking at the icing being piped was her favorite part.

She quickly made herself comfortable, and soon she was deep beneath the covers, watching the screen intently, her pacifier still in her mouth.

Melanie's pacifier was something we'd been struggling to figure out how to take away for months. If she kept it for much longer, it could mess up her teeth, Cleo was sure it was already in the process of doing so. But it was the only thing that helped her go to bed, or else she'd kick and cry until I broke, and Cleo had to take over again.

Cleo stumbled into the room, rubbing her eyes. Her hair was a mess, it looked like she'd been in the same clothes for at least two days.

I gently gave Melanie a pat on the shoulder and got up to talk to Cleo.

"Can you just take a shower? Get some rest, please, bubby. You're starting to worry me."

"I'm fine,"
"God, no you're not. I can handle him for thirty minutes, just like I handled him for nine months. Please."

"F-fine."

I rubbed her arm with a heartfelt smile, and she headed off to the bathroom.

As if on cue, Theodore began to make those loud cries again. She poked her head out the bathroom door, but I pushed her back in and slowly made my way to his nursery.

I immediately noticed how the window was open wide, cool breeze flying into the room, causing the plastic birds hanging from the chandelier to swing. The bright light shone against the pastel green walls of the room. Faces of happy hippo and giraffe stickers decorated the walls.

"Here, my love, come here." I gently scooped him up. "Shhh, shh,"

His wailing didn't stop, only softened in my arms. I lightly bounced him, his tiny body softly shook. He quietly cooed, before stopping to suck his thumb.