🩸Duck Date (pt.24)🩸

"Babydoll, I forgot to tell you."

I looked over at her from my book and waited for her to continue.

"I want to take you out."

"Where?"

She chuckled, "I can't tell you that, then it wouldn't be fun."
Cleo retrieved her wallet from her jacket and set it on my lap.

"You're serious?"
"Yes, of course I am. Go get yourself something nice, not too fancy, not too bland."

"Without you?" I squeaked.

"You can do it." She pulled me close and fiddled with her necklace that still hung from my neck.

"M-maybe..." I whispered. Some days were worse than others, I would probably be fine this time.

But I didn't want to leave this spot, her body against mine, her soft breath in my ear.

"Okay?" She drew away, causing me to form my hands into fists to keep from fidgeting.

"Yeah, okay. I can do it." I gently put my book to the side and tightly grasped onto her wallet.

Her lips quickly brushed against mine and she cupped my cheeks.
"Just have fun, okay? Don't worry about me."

I slipped out a nervous nod and got up, releasing her wallet into my pocket. My tongue anxiously slid across my lips.
"What if something happens?"

"I've never told you this, have I?" She reached for my hands, "I can always tell when you're in danger, babydoll. Did you forget how my blood pumps through you? The first time we had sex. We're practically connected,"

"you'll be okay. Promise."

"Promise." I repeated with a small smile. Cleo always said that.

I hesitantly let go of her hands and headed for the door.

"You'll be fine, my love."

"Bye, Cleo, I love you." I said softly. Then I left, closing my bedroom door behind me.

I hoped she wouldn't miss me like I missed her when she left.
And I wished I had somebody with me, not even Cleo, but anyone. The weather made everything feel lonelier.

The rain dripped over my head as I walked. There wasn't much, but I was sure to be at least substantially wet by the time I got into town.

It wasn't strange what Cleo had said about my blood. It made sense considering she was always there when I was getting hurt. Stabbed, drunk, eaten, alone. She could always find me, probably from my heartbeat. Maybe it had a specific sound, or maybe it was just my smell.

I wondered if the other vampires could taste her blood in me. Maybe Gwenevieve had suspected things for a long time.

Regardless of anything, the trip went well.

I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone. If this was a high school dance, I would've picked a green dress. This time I picked red, it wasn't too bright, or too dark, it was a candy red shade.

The straps were designed as thin pieces of spaghetti, but didn't dig into my shoulders or my back. It was short, the skirt erupted outward while the bodice was lined with jewels and stuck tightly against my chest. Almost too tight, but there was room for cleavage to show, and the back was low, showing everything above my hips.

And at that point, I didn't know if I was picking it for myself or for Cleo.

It was relatively comfortable, and easy to get into. I hoped she wouldn't have too much trouble getting the dress off of me, however.