We're Okay

It felt good to be home again, even though everything did not feel quite right.

The night Dante had returned had brought up a lot of emotional baggage from the last five years. That in itself led to some pretty emotional shower sex and then a long, long night of 'I missed you' and 'don't ever leave me again' as he held Roe in his arms. The 'I love you' over and over again seemed to work the most on her.

It felt good.

Then when the Sun came up, so did the thought that Roe was dreaming. She had her arm resting on his chest while he had his around her. She was very much tucked into him with her head on his shoulder as he snoozed. He was sleeping light enough where he could feel and hear everything she did. He felt when she began to shake, and he heard her when she started to sniffle. He could even smell the tears. That caused him to crack his eyelids and use his baby blues to see what was going on.

Nothing was said when he grabbed her hand on his chest and brought it to his lips. This made her cry even more; not the reaction he had expected but that was fine. He can deal with tears. Maybe not Vergil, but then again, the older twin had his own shit to work out.

"What's wrong, Babe?" He said kissing her hand.

"I thought last night was a dream." Dante looked at her pretty grey eyes and sighed.

"It wasn't." He reassured her. "That was probably the best welcome home I've ever gotten." He was correct. The last time he came home after a long trip to the Underworld, he was slapped, and then the coitus afterward was pretty amazing...so amazing they ended up with Mara months later. There is no chance of that happening again, thankfully. "I'm pretty sure I'm not going anywhere anytime soon."

"I hope not." Roe hiccupped as he squeezed her hand. "You have a lot to make up for."

"Yup, and I haven't even thought about what to do with Cade yet." He looked at the ceiling. "I know he resents me for leaving." He let out a long sigh. "Mara was angry, but somehow my idiot of a brother actually got her to calm down. I don't even know how that happened."

"Dante, when are you going to learn that Vergil is like a chocolate truffle." She picked her head up and pulled herself out of his embrace to lay on her stomach. "He's got this hard shell on the outside, but on the inside, he's got a lot of soft filling. Unlike you, who I compare to a Twinkie." She kissed him with her tears starting to dry on her cheeks. "I love you." She said pulling away from him and then making eye contact.

"I love you too, Babe." She was right, again. Dante furrowed his brows when he realized that his wife was never wrong. "Okay. So what do I do about my son? Should I send Vergil after him too?"

"God no." Roe rolled her eyes. "You have to take care of that." Again, she was right. "In case you haven't done the math yet, Cade is a legal adult."

"Right, so that means..." He remembered that he instructed Morrison to give the deed to Devil May Cry over to Cade when he turned twenty. "Let me guess, he's at..."

"Nope. He's hunting." Roe said. "And he's been working with Nero for a year now." Somehow, that did not surprise Dante. No, he expected that Nero was going to take on Cade at some point. He could think of no one else to show Cade the ropes of demon hunting. "He said he was going to be back next week when I talked to him yesterday."

"You didn't tell him I am back yet." Dante decided that was likely a good choice as Cade was emotionally driven and knowing would likely cause issues. "Probably a good thing."

"I'll tell him when he calls to say he is coming home." Roe said giving him a chaste kiss. "Right now, I have to get up and get the girls ready for school." She got out of bed with little protest from him. "You should get up and go check on your brother." She said picking up the flannel pj's he wore last night and throwing them at him.

"You know, even though we are getting close to fifty, we are still good looking." He winked at his wife as she went to their closet. "I think that says a lot about us."

"Yes and our genetically superior children too."