The Queen of Peace and Vodka

Roe was not a big drinker. Sure, she enjoyed a good cocktail or a glass of wine from time to time, but the urge for vodka and cranberry juice was strong. She was beginning to regret inviting everyone she considered family over for a long overdue dinner. She was pretty sure she bit off more than she could chew with this one.

She had lost it when the roast had started to burn. Dante had been distracting her while his brother silently sat at the breakfast table reading. She yelled and threw a pot at her husband before chasing him out of the kitchen. When she had come back, she found her brother-in-law removing the partially burnt roast from the oven. Bless him, for he was more intuitive than his brother at the moment.

"I'm starting to think this was a bad idea." She told him as he set the roast on the counter next to the stove.

"No, it's not a bad idea." He was trying to be positive, and she definitely appreciated it. "You are taking on too much by yourself, and Dante is an idiot." That was likely true, but that did not stop the smile from coming to her lips.

"He has his moments." She acknowledged that Vergil was doing his best to acclimate, but she understood it was awkward for him. "Are you okay with this?" She had planned this accordingly so that Nero could make it over.

"You don't need to be concerned with me, I'll be fine." He looked decent enough in the black long sleeved button-up. He liked to have his sleeves rolled up like Dante, which she noticed a while ago. They were not so different from each other. "Thank you." He added after careful thought.

"It's no problem, Vergil." She sighed. "I just worry... well Nero is like my son. I know he is yours, but the last ten years, I've gotten to know him. He's got a lot of pent up emotions, especially since he learned you are his father." She paused. "I don't want you to think that I planned this diner to get you two to talk to each other."

"I don't think that at all." He handed the pot holder in his grasp over to her. "Whatever happens between Nero and I tonight is not of your doing." She frowned at his words, but at the same time still felt as though she was meddling. "It is a long time coming, Rowena."

"What if it goes horribly?" She took the pot holder from him.

"Then we will deal with it on our own terms." Vergil seemed to understand where she was coming from, but he also used the correct words to ease her worries. "I appreciate your concerns more than you know."

"Thank you, Vergil." She gave him a small smile. "I know you are still getting used to all of this... but I don't want you thinking I'm meddling into your life."

"You aren't." He was quick to answer. "If anything, you have enriched it a little just by accepting me into your home." That was enough to make her heart soar and she placed a hand on his arm.

"You're family, Vergil." She squeezed his arm in affirmation. "No matter what you have done, I still love you." If he were to cry, that was the moment, but he was too tough for that. She knew it, but she could see his face soften enough to know he at least cherished those words. "Anyway, if you don't mind, I could use some help."

"I'm not much of a cook." He was quick to respond with a smirk. "It's been almost thirty years since I've made any meal for myself."

"Well, it's never too late to try." She wandered over to where her knife block was and pulled a chopping knife from it. "I know you are good with a sword, but can you peel potatoes?" A chuckle came from him as he moved to take the knife from her.

"I'm sure I can hold my own against a few potatoes." Thankfully, he was open to helping her. It was better than her messy husband who could not cook to save his life.