t w e n t y - e i g h t

2 days later

°•°•°•°•°

it's October 31st, my dreaded birthday. yes, my birthday is on halloween. and i hate it. i don't mean to be selfish, but halloween over shadows my birthday, so i never tell anyone about it.

the only people that know are my family, draco, mattheo, blaise and my best friend, but she doesn't go to hogwarts. she's a muggle, i miss her so much. she's the only person who's stuck by my side. wait until christmas when i head into the muggle world to visit her and she hears about what's happened to me lately. she's gonna be pissed. and probably go to jail in the muggle world.

i wake up usual as any other day, in my bed in blaises room. i get dressed in normal clothes, a slytherin sweater and jeans, brushed my hair, threw on some light makeup, brushed my teeth, you know the usual.

blaise had already left so i figured id meet him in the common room or the great hall. i grab my phone and bag with all my books and leave. since it was a friday i planned on going to diagon alley to buy myself something nice for my birthday.

i walk down to the common room to find it empty, so i continue to the great hall. i could hear chatter from outside of the doors and i walk in. i walk to the slytherin table, but i don't sit. i get a plate of food from the table, gather food, and walk back out to the slytherin common room. it was usually empty, so i like to spend time in there by myself when i just need some peace and quiet.

im eating my breakfast, scrolling on my phone when i hear the door open to the common room. a dark haired boy walks in, ive never seen him before. he looks a little down though, i ask "hey? are you okay? i know you don't know me, but i figured id ask, you look really sad?"

"im fine, i just started here today, my letter was a little late finding me and i can't find where any of my classes are and ive asked around to see if any of the other students will help me find them and they just," he hesitates for a moment, "sorry, im talking too much" he stops and looks at his feet

"no no, don't say that. i like when people talk, i find it very comforting that people are open to talking to me. please talk. but im sorry to hear you're not having a great first day. i would be more than happy to help you," i set my plate and phone down, stand up, and hold my hand out hinting for a hand shake, "im y/n cooper, slytherin obviously, and i never got your name, what was it?"

he grabs my hand, shaking it, "thats actually so funny, my first name is cooper, cooper sullivan."

i giggle a little, "that is pretty funny, what a coincidence"

"right?" He says back chuckling and slowly letting go of my hand. we make intense eye contact. studying each others faces, not breaking the look.

i finally snap and ask, "So um what the classes you are looking for?" i walk over back to the couch and continue to eat my food.

he awkwardly stands by the door trying to find his schedule, "you know, you don't have to awkwardly stand there, you can sit down on the couch, or a chair" i say patting the cushion next to me.

"oh, right, sorry" He sits down next to me

"no, don't apologize, i want you to feel relaxed and comfortable, and not be on your toes all the time, i promise i won't judge you about anything, i like to think im a nice person."

"only one way to find out" He says shrugging pulling out his schedule to show me.

we read the classes together and see we have all our classes together.

"wow, coincidences around every corner" He jokes

"i guess so!" i laugh

"well um we should get to class"

"yes, we should just let me get all my things together and we'll start walking" i smile. i clean up my plate of food, make sure i have all my books and my phone and i lead him out the corridor to walk to our first class. we walk in silence, not knowing what to say to each other. i think to myself, 'i haven't heard from enzo all morning.. i wonder why'

cooper speaks up and says something, "so.. do you have a boyfriend?"

"i don't know"

"how do you not know?" He jokes and laughs

"well," i chuckle, "it's complicated. i like him, he likes me. and we both know it, and he treats me like his girlfriend, but we haven't talked about it at all, and it's just a topic i don't like to bring up, I've have quite the last couple months with dating. i just dont think im ready for a relationship as of right now honestly."

"well, if you need help trying to get to him, let me know, i got you girllll" he jokes once again, giving jazz hands

"you like to make jokes huh?" we laugh together.

"just trying to make a good first impression, and see that beautiful smile of yours"

i look down at my feet smiling and blushing, "well, thank you"

"anything for you"

we make it to class and sit down together. i notice mattheo walk in and my body language changes, i sit straight and forward, and put my guard back up. and follow not far behind is a very high pedestal, sorry, draco. god, i miss him, but i just wish he wouldn't have done what he did. my best friend of, well forever, right down the drain.

"you okay?" cooper whispers, obviously noticing my drastic change of movement.

i clear my throat and glance over at mattheo who was looking at me already, "yeah, just fine" i smile.

"is that him?"

"oh no no no no, not ever again"

"again?"

"yeah, he was my boyfriend for a good while, found him cheating, left him, got another boyfriend to distract me from him, he.. died, sadly, then got back with him because i missed him so much. and then i got ra-" i stop myself, "something huge and life-changing happened, he was there through the whole thing. didn't leave my bed for a long while, found out he was cheating on me again, left him. and now he's furious with me because i like someone else. but like i said, it's complicated and i don't even know if it'll work out between me and him."

"wow, that's something. he sure did the damage" he raises his eyebrows in shock

"yep, sure did" i nod. and class begins from there.

1159 words