Eighteen

It turns out Mia does have an alibi, much to Venom's dismay. As it turns out, it's Buddy - one of her ex-boyfriends and another shifter - is responsible for the killings. What made things worst is that he would ruin people's lives before killing them.

The guy likes to see the misery in his victims' eyes when they realized they had nothing left. Venom smiled. If he wasn't the target then we would have been great friends. Back in the good ol' days, I loved to torment Parker. Especially when it came to his wife, Mary Jane.

I was pacing behind Sam as he looked over the security footage. Dean and Jack left a while ago to make sure Mia's assistant, Tom, checks out since he can access most of her files that Buddy would have needed.

"What are you doing?" Mia asked.

"I'm scrubbing your security footage," Sam answered.

"In case any of their eyes flare," I added. "If they flare then they're the shifter."

"Right," Mia trailed off.

Sam reached over and grabbed my wrist. "I'm sure they're fine," he tried to reassure me.

"That's not what I'm worried about. I just...don't like the idea of them alone together," I voiced my thoughts. It's not that I don't trust Dean to take care of Jack, but I just don't think Dean would try and save Jack if they were in danger.

I wouldn't.

Not helping.

Not lying.

I tried to get my mind off Jack and looked toward Mia. "So, how does this work with your patients? You show up as their dead relatives, and they think what?"

"Honestly? They don't really care," she answered. "They chalk it up to hypnotism, a lucid dream. They explain it away because at the end of the day, they get to say goodbye."

"And that works?"

"Mm-hmm."

"People? We're hardwired to want closure. You know?" She looked toward Sam. "You never got a chance to say goodbye either, did you?"

Sam didn't answer. His brows furrowed as he leaned closer to the screen.

"Whoa, whoa. Check this out," he said. I went behind to get a better view of the shapeshifter as he zoomed in on his face. "There. Who's that?"

"That's John Driscoll," Mia informed us. "I only started seeing him a few weeks ago."

And bingo was his name-o.

》》》》

Sam and I left to scope out Driscoll's apartment. Sadly, we were too late. Driscoll's dead and the shifter's gone.

I love shifters though. Always leaving me a tasty snack to munch on.

We headed back to the office. Sam and I walked up the stairs until I felt this cold chill running up and down my spine.

"Wait, Sam," I grabbed Sam's shoulder. I could practically feel Venom tilt his head back as he inhaled the scent of blood.

"What is it -" he began but I held my finger over my lips to signal him to be quiet. "Is it your Lexa tingle?"

Ha, Lexa tingle!

"It's called Spidey-senses," I corrected him in a whisper.

"Sam, Lexa, no!" Dean shouted from the inside.

I looked at Sam and motioned for him to take the downstairs while I pointed toward the roof for myself. He nodded in understanding and took his gun out while Venom took control. He jumped up and landed on the roof with a soft thud.