Thirty-Six: Discovery

Now that I've graduated, I can finally focus on writing more! Thank you all for waiting for me! After the chapter, please take time to read my note down below.

This chapter is 2,600 words. Enjoy!

****

Thirty-Six | Discovery

When I was a child, I could never bring myself to hurt anyone. At least not on purpose. No matter how much pain someone made me endure — how much pain someone like Alec made me endure, I refused to hurt someone back. Revenge was never something I sought in those situations.

I don't know why I'm looking for it this time.

Killing that spy wasn't good enough for me. I thought it would heal me. I thought it would give me some relief. Some peace. Somehow, I've been waiting for hours and have yet to find the peace I've been longing for. But even though I might hate it that I feel this way, I understand what changed. People I love have been hurt. Alec didn't let me know he hurt the people I loved when I was a child. He hurt them, but I didn't know he did, which is why I didn't want revenge. But now that those I love have been hurt and are at risk, I want to avenge them.

I think that's why I find myself here at the edge of the east border of the pack, the sword that Bennett gifted me for my birthday strapped to my back. Something inside of me longs for revenge that is far bigger than the life I took. The last few hours have been spent wondering why what I did isn't enough to heal the pain I've been enduring because of the Destroyers. Now I'm here at an ungodly hour of the morning, in the darkness of the forest, looking for one of the bases the spy I killed told me about.

The attack that the spy told us was supposed to happen never came and I'm stuck trying to understand why. We've spent hours desperately preparing for the onslaught that was supposed to happen. Bennett spent the entire time amping up security around the palace and the royal pack. Levi called the off-duty soldiers in for work. We need as many of them as we can. The Destroyers have only been getting stronger and the Bloodmoon pack is evidence of that. But when midnight came around and the day the attack was supposed to begin came to an end, I decided to investigate for myself.

I can't see anything through the thicket of trees that covers the ground of this forest. It doesn't help how dark it is and the sun isn't going to be rising for a few hours. The thought of creating a flame in the palm of my hand for light comes to me a few times, but I don't want to draw any unwanted attention to myself. Especially since I'm by myself. I wouldn't want to be the center of attention for any Destroyers that might potentially be out here.

Since we found out about the supposed attack and I killed the spy, my job has been to stay locked in my room with ample security guarding my door. As much as I wanted to help, Bennett thought it was the best idea to keep me secluded and heavily guarded, especially since I am what the Destroyers are after. I hate that idea with everything in me. I'm sick and tired of hiding and running from them, which is why I'm now on the other side of the east border, continuing my mission to find this Destroyer base. I don't know how far it is from the border, but I'm going to keep looking until I find it.

War is brewing. The Destroyers are without a doubt getting stronger and it's only a matter of time before they try to take over the palace and dethrone Bennett. For centuries, they have been looking for ways to finally dethrone the Eclipse bloodline. Previous leaders have failed miserably, and Alec was just one of those, but with the recent display of their abilities, I doubt they'll be going down without a good fight. A new leader has seemingly been introduced, and they are sick and tired of failing. They're serious now-- more than ever.

I'm afraid of what this rise in power means. War is inevitable, and casualties are too. I'm just afraid that I'm not done losing people I care about. I thought losing the pack I only just got back was enough to pay for my sins, but I don't think that is in the Destroyer's plan for the endless suffering they want me to go through. Of course, all of this – the pain, the loss, the fear of not knowing what is going to happen next – could go away if Bennett would just surrender his title as King and I, mine as the future Queen of the werewolf world, but it simply isn't that easy. Surrendering the kingdom would mean countless innocent people would have to suffer under a new, cruel ruler. Neither I nor Bennett are willing to allow that to happen.