Seventeen: Rituals and Brothers

We found our seats in the church where the ceremony would be taking place. I still couldn't understand how I didn't realize my mate was the king of werewolves. I hadn't realized the resemblance he had with his brother. Even if they were only half brothers, they looked too alike for me not to be able to notice.

Conversations died down as the last of the people took their seats. The royal family sat in the very front of the room where everyone would have a view of the ceremony. We sat in the first pew, which was reserved for the king's friends. I wondered what my family did to make it there.

For a split second Andrew, or should I say Bennett and I made eye contact. I looked away, but when I looked back over to him seconds later, his eyes were still on me.

I sent him a glare.

I made sure that my glare was as subtle at possible; so subtle, that no one around me would notice but the person I was sending it to.

Bennett didn't seem fazed one bit by my glare. If anything, his lips stretched out into a small smirk.

Not even moments later, the king; Alaric stood and everyone in the room followed. He started off with a prayer; one that I did not know. I made sure to add praying to my mental list of 'things I should know by now that I don't.'

The prayer was finished and we sat down. Alaric remained standing, waiting for the last of us to take our seats. "I believe everyone here knows why we are here, but just in case, I'll explain." Alaric looked around the room, making sure everyone had their attention focused on him. "We are here to celebrate my youngest son, Bennett Andrew Eclipse. He has come of age today and is ready to be given the responsibility of taking over the werewolf world as king."

Alaric motioned for his son to step up to the altar and he did. Bennett gave his father a polite nod before turning towards the alter.

From where I sat, I could see a large, golden chalice. I thought that was it until the soon-to-be former king picked up a knife.

I've heard of this ritual that kings do with their sons to symbolize the passing of the crown. The king cuts a slit on both his and his son's palms using a silver knife to keep the wound from healing too quickly. They collect their blood and mix it in the chalice, and the prince drinks the blood while the king chants a prayer. The ritual was used when werewolves started to grow in numbers and decided they needed a ruler. I always thought it was a tradition that was long gone, but this proved me wrong.

I watched intently as Alaric took the knife and slowly dragged it across his palm. He loudly chanted something in an ancient language. I knew the language was ancient by the fact that it didn't sound like anything that would be spoken by anyone in this point in time. Alaric brought his hand over the chalice and his blood pool up in it. He waited for a generous amount to fall into the chalice before taking his hand away and wrapping it in a towel that was sitting next to him. With his now bandaged hand, he picked the knife up again and took his son's hand. with the same speed he used with his hand --if not slower-- he dragged the knife across Bennett's palm as he started a different chant. Bennett managed to keep a straight face as the silver weapon sliced and undoubtedly burned his flesh. He only watched as his father lifted his hand over the chalice and let his blood pool up and mix with his.

Alaric took the towel off his hand to expose his healed palm and motioned for us to stand. He started chanting again as we stood and lifted his arm into the air. That prayer took up about 3 minutes, and when it was finished, the queen; Evelyn came up from behind Bennett with the crown in her hands. It looked incredibly heavy. Slowly, Bennett grabbed the chalice and lifted it up to his lips. As he drank the blood, Evelyn placed the crown on his head.