Thirty-Seven: Their Leader

"We need to attack," are the first words that come out of my mouth as soon as I enter Bennett's office the next morning. I didn't even bother knocking, but I think I should have, because his and Levi's heads both snap up from whatever work they're focused on the desk. They're both leaning over it, their two hands being used as support as they look down. The two brothers share a similar look to one another. Brows furrowed in confusion.

"I found one of their bases," I admit after hours of contemplating it. I had begged Evan not to tell Bennett about my excursion the night before, and it didn't take much convincing because he wouldn't willingly have a conversation with him unless it involved something incredibly important, and Bennett can't do anything about me leaving but urge me not to. Everyone knows I wouldn't listen. And I wouldn't have admitted it to avoid being lectured, but this is the only way I can think of that will effectively convince Bennett and Levi to attack.

"You what?" Levi is the first to speak. He looks up at his brother, a perplexed look crossing his features. Bennett meets his eyes before turning to me.

"You were supposed to stay in your room," he says, shaking his head.

As I step closer, I notice the map that sits on the desk before them. Everything that was previously there has been cleared to make enough room for the large piece of paper. The only thing other than that sitting on the desk are two black markers. The closer I get, the more I start to notice various marks on the map. Circles and arrows are the most common, but as my eyes dart around, I make note of writing in specific areas.

"You really expected me to stay in my room doing nothing?"

Bennett's lips part in effect to my response, but his brother speaks first. "Yes," he states simply. "We did." His expression is rather cold—emotionless and when he lets his guard down, they close for a split second before snapping back open. He's exhausted, no doubt. Staying up for days on end planning for an attack that didn't even happen takes a toll on a person. I look at Bennett, and his look tells me he agrees with Levi. His eyes are also fighting to stay open, though they have a sort of softness that never seems to leave his eyes. I don't think I've ever seen coldness in him. I doubt it even exists. But I can tell something has changed. He's concerned, tired, and determined all at the same time. I know for a fact he also hasn't slept in days.

"Well, you thought wrong about me," I tell both of them, rounding the table. I wedge myself between them. "I'm not going to sit back locked in my room while you save the world. I won't allow it."

Neither of them reply. Instead, Levi mumbles, "How did you even get past the guards at your door?" I don't think he expected me to hear him, but with my proximity and my extremely heightened hearing, I hear him perfectly.

"Window," I state smugly.

He stands up straight from his position over the desk, his brows furrowed. "You live on the fourth floor."

I do nothing but raise my hand and wiggle my fingers in his face, alluding to my powers. I had built an ice staircase from my window to the ground and then thawed it once I left to avoid anyone seeing it.

He shakes his head in disapproval, runs his hand through his hair, and chuckles in disbelief. "You think this is a game, but it's not!" he exclaims, fully turning his body to face me.

"I know that!" I say defensively. I point a finger at my chest. "I know this isn't a game. I just want to do everything I can to bring an end to this, and I'm not going to sit back and watch as you try and do it without me."

"Well maybe you should sit back," he counters. The exhaustion in his eyes has been completely replaced by anger. His irises darken, and he becomes someone I don't even recognize anymore. "Maybe we would be done with this by now if you would just listen whenever we tell you to do something." His words hit me so hard, he might as well have slapped me. I take a step back as he points his finger at me. "You need to realize that you're not in charge here." He points at his brother, then himself. "We are."