Nine: Pack Introduction

"Are you finished?" Lily poked her head through the door of my bedroom where I was getting ready.

"I'm almost finished," I told her as I smoothed out the navy blue dress that I was wearing.

Lily was introduced to me as my cousin. She's Olivia's daughter. She was born a year or so after Alec took me, making her sixteen years old.

It was the evening of the same day that I met my mother. I was going to be introduced to the entire pack. I was given time to shower and get ready for the huge event.

"Uncle Orion just started his speech." Lily walked all the way in and stood behind me, taking my hair in her hands. She ran her fingers through it. I braced myself for the pain that would inevitably come once she came in contact with a knot. But to my surprise, Lily was able to run her fingers through it multiple times without a problem.

"I just have to put this on," I said as I picked up a necklace made of pearl beads that I found at the vanity that was in my room. Lily took it from me and assisted me in putting it on. I mumbled a "Thank you," before taking one last look at myself in the mirror.

"You look great!" Lily gushed. "Lets go!" She grabbed my hand and pulled me out the door of my bedroom and down the hall. She pulled me all the way downstairs. We waited by the front door.

I laughed at Lily as she bounced up and down on her toes. She seemed to be more excited than I was.

To say I was nervous was an understatement. My heart was beating out of my chest and multiple questions buzzed throughout my head. What if they don't like me? What If I trip and make a fool out of myself? Would they even want me to be part of the pack if they knew I've been a rogue my whole life?

"After many dreadful years of looking, we can finally stop." Orion's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I heard confused mumbling come from the other side of the door after Orion spoke. "There's someone I'd like you all to meet."

On cue, Lily opened the front door and gently pushed me outside. I felt the tips of my ears heat up at the sound of the pack members gasping. Orion extended his hand for me to take and I did. I stood next to him and bowed my head as he spoke. I wasn't use to being the center of attention.

"I present to you, Norah Jane Bloodmoon."

Cheers and applause erupted from the very large crowd that was before us. If my whole face wasn't red before, it certainly is now. Orion saw my embarrassment and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me close to him. I buried my face into his suit jacket. I felt his body shake gently as he chuckled. He found my embarrassment cute.

When the cheering died down, I lifted my head back up to be met with many smiling faces. It eased my worries. They were happy that I was here. A smile spread across my lips at the thought that I was actually wanted here.

When the crowd dispersed, many pack members stayed back to introduce themselves to me.

"We've all missed you dearly," an old woman said. She looked to be in her late sixties or early seventies. Every hair on her head had already turned a light shade of gray. Her face didn't hold many wrinkles. If it did, I would've assumed she was much older.

"I'm glad to be back," I told her truthfully.

She looked me up and down before saying, "You look just like your mother when she was your age, you know."

"You have no idea how many times I've been told that," I said, making her laugh.

"Well, it's true."