Ten: Confessions

"Hey," I greeted Evan as I closed the door of his room behind me. My eyebrows furrowed, followed by my lips contorting into a frown when I didn't recieve a response. "You told me to meet you in here," I continued.

Evan was sitting on the edge of the bed. His elbows were propped up on his knees and he was hunched over, deep in thought. It wasn't until I walked over to him and sat down next to him that he snapped out of whatever trance he was in.

He looked over to me and smiled softly. "Hey," he finally spoke. My eyebrows furrowed more. I could tell the smile that he wore was forced. He was hiding something behind it. He was nothing like the goofy, funny, seventeen year old that he was the day before.

"What's wrong?" I asked, making his small smile drop withing a mater of milliseconds. He sighed heavily as he ran a hand through his chocolate brown hair. He buried his face in his hands and mumbled something that was incoherent to me. "What?"

Evan lifted his head and turned to me once again. "I haven't been honest with you lately," he whispered.

"Okay?" I drew out the word, not understanding where he was going with it.

"I want to tell you, but at the same time I don't. I just don't want to ruin our friendship because I know you'll be really mad, but I have to tell you because you deserve to know, but I don't want you to hate me, but if I don't tell you, the guilt will continue to weigh down my shoulders and--" I placed a hand on his shoulder, making him tense and stop with his rambling.

"Slow down," I said. "Breathe," I instructed and he did. He inhaled for seconds on end before releasing the air he had taken in.

"Okay," he nodded and took one last breath before speaking again. "I'll tell you, but you have to promise you won't get mad." He locked his eyes with mine, a pleading look swimming around in them.

"I won't get mad," I assured, making the small smile that Evan wore come back.

Evan sighed again and started tapping his foot; something he did when he was nervous or on edge. He stared at the wall in front of us for about a minute, thinking about what he was going to say.

It felt like an eternity before he finally spoke. "I've known about your family for a while now." The way he said it made the sentence sound like a whole word. I didn't understand what he said at first, but when I repeated the words in my head, I was able to understand.

"How?" Was all I asked.

"Alec told me about two years ago."

My face changed faster than Evan said his sentence. One second, I held an expression of confusion; the next, it was one of anger.

"And you didn't think to tell me?" I said, trying my best to contain my emotions until I heard what Evan had to say. I didn't recieve a reply and my emotions skyrocketed. "Evan, were you ever going to tell me?" I asked, my voice rising in volume. "If I wasn't found, were you going to tell me?" I repeated.

No response, but the simple shaking of his head told me everything I needed to know at that moment.

"And why not?"

"He threatened me," was his first response since I asked him my second question.

"You could have told me!" I yelled as I stood up. "We could've left so Alec wouldn't do anything to you!"

"And where would we have gone!? How would we have gotten here!?" He asked. This time, I stayed quiet as he yelled. "Our rogue pack is ten fucking hours away! How would we have gotten here without getting lost!?

"You could have at least told me! I would've dealt with Alec!" I hissed.

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, so he could strap you down and take your powers like he tried with your mother," he said bitterly. The statement only made my blood boil more than it already was.