Three: The Attack

Norah

My eyes snapped open and I sat up in my bed, running a hand through my light brown hair. I sighed as I proceeded to run a hand down my face.

I had another dream.

I was in the same room as last time. I didn't really remember what had happened in it. I just remembered that my surroundings were the same.

I sighed as I stood up and went over to the corner of the room where I had a neat pile of clothes on a very out of shape wooden chair. I picked out my outfit for the day and changed into it. I raked my fingers through my knotted hair before exiting my shack.

I was greeted by Evan. He was waiting outside my shack. "What are you doing here?" I asked and he shrugged.

"Waiting for you," he said. "I want to hang out."

I shrugged, "I've got nothing to do, so I guess."

Evan smiled. "Great! I think we should go into town and grab something to eat and just hang out." There was a human town not too far away from where we were settled.

"With what money are we gonna get food with?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

He gave me an innocent grin. "Don't you worry your pretty little head about it."

*

"If you get caught, I better not get in any trouble," I grumbled as we walked down the busy street of the town. Evan had pick-pocketed an old man to get money for food.

"I've never been caught and I don't intend to." A smirk crept up on his face as my eyes widened.

"You're meaning to tell me that you've done this more than once!?" I whisper yelled to avoid getting caught.

"And you thought you knew me," Evan laughed and I hit his arm, making him laugh even more. "I do this everytime we come here. You just never noticed... or questioned where I got money from." I shook my head in disapproval before muttering some very 'nice' words.

"Come on, Norah!" He laughed. "You need to learn to live a little." I rolled my eyes and ignored him.

We made it to a café that seemed to be less crowded than usual. We took our normal seats by the window and waited for someone to come ask us what we wanted.

"Have you found anything else out about what your dad is keeping from you?" Evan asked out of nowhere and I shook my head.

"No, but I have a hunch. I just don't know if it's too early to assume," I said.

"Spill," Evan demanded and I rolled my eyes before answering.

"I think it might be about my mom," I blurted.

"Your mom?" Evan questioned and I  nodded, picking at the paint that was starting to chip off of the table. "Why about her? She's... not here. What could he possibly be-" he shut his mouth as a girl that looked to be our age approached our table. She had two menus in her hand and placed them in front of us.

"Hi!" She smiled widely. "I'm Reese and I'll be your server today. I'll leave you to look at these and I'll come back in a couple minutes. Let me know if you have any questions!" She said before walking off.

"She's so hot," Evan blurted out, making me roll my eyes again. Rolling my eyes is common when I'm around Evan.

"You have a mate out there," I pointed out as my eyes scanned the menu.

"And I have a mate out there," he sighed dramatically, and slumped back in his seat in defeat.

Reese came back a couple minutes later as she said she would. "Are you ready to order?" She asked, taking out a pen and a pad of paper from her apron. I nodded. "I'll just have a fruit salad, some chocolate cake, and a glass of water." I ordered first and watched as Reese wrote my order down.