Twelve: Cracks

I finished packing my necessities in a small suitcase and zipped it up. We were leaving for Maeverly Palace within the hour.

Someone knocked on my door and opened it. "I'm almost ready--oh," I said as I turned around. "Do you need something?" Evan just stood there as if he was some mannequin. He didn't move, he didn't speak, he just stood frozen in place. I sighed as I took my suitcase off of the bed and extended the handle. "Look, if you came in here to waste my time, just leave. I have somewhere to be right now."

That made him speak for the first time. "Where are you off to?"

"We're going to the coronation," I said, sweet and simple.

"Without me?" Evan crossed his arms across his chest and feigned hurt. "We go everywhere together." His hurt looked staged, but something told me that he was covering his real hurt up.

"Well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but not this time." I pulled my suitcase behind me and walked past Evan, purposefully making contact with his shoulder a little too hard. He stumbled a little, but got himself upright quickly.

I stopped when Evan's hand latched itself around my wrist. "What is wrong with you?"

I abruptly turned to face him, yanking my wrist out of his hold in the process. "Oh I don't know. Maybe because my best friend kept something from me for two years." I pointed an accusing finger in his direction. "Last time I checked, best friends don't do that."

Evan didn't say anything; instead, he grabbed my arm and pulled me to him. I didn't realize what was going on until his lips landed on mine. His hand buried itself in my hair and the other cupped my face. My eyes widened and I immediately pushed him away. He stumbled to the ground due to the immense amount of strength I had pushed him with.

"I know that you didn't just do that," I seethed and with the back of my hand, I wiped my mouth.

"So that's it?" He completely ignored my previous statement. He didn't try to get back up, knowing that with all the anger coursing through my veins at the moment, I would easily push him back down. "You're not even going to give me a chance to fix this?"

"You thought a kiss would fix this?" I answered with another question.

"No, of course not, but it was worth a try." He shrugged, a smirk tugging on his lips. As quick as it came, it was gone and he grew serious. "So this is it? The friendship we've worked on for years is gone like that?" He snapped his fingers for effect. "Have I lost you forever?"

"Is everything alright?" I tensed when I felt Rowan place his hand on my shoulder. He eyed Evan --who was still on the ground-- and gave me a confused look. "What are you doing on the floor?"

I let out a long, weary sigh. "We're fine."

"We're getting ready to leave." Without sparing Evan a second glance, I grabbed my suitcase and walked out the door with Rowan on my trail.

"Are you sure everything's fine?" He asked.

No. I feel betrayed and I need someone to let it all out to, I wanted to say; but instead, I said, "Everything is okay. Don't worry about it." Rowan dismissed the topic and we silently finished our journey downstairs where multiple small bags were stationed next to the door. Both Orion and my mother stood by the door. They were speaking with the person I came to know as Ace.

"If you need anything, call me and I'll answer as soon as I can," I heard Orion tell Ace as Rowan and I got closer.

It was clear that Ace didn't take Orion's worried state seriously because he laughed. "Don't worry. I've been doing this for years. Although, Charles was always better at this." His last sentence was clearly meant for only him to hear, but all of us heard it. A flash of emotion passed all of the adult's features at the sound of their fallen Beta's name. The air grew thick and everyone was eerily silent.