Fifteen: Dates

"Something's on your mind." I lifted my head towards the bed my brother was sitting on.

After parting ways with Andrew, I asked a kind, old woman that worked around the palace if she knew where my room was. She brought me to the room I was to share with Rowan.

"Nothing's on my mind," I lied. It wasn't a very smooth lie at all.

"Lying is pointless," he frowned, squinting his eyes at me as if he were studying me. "I think I've known you long enough to know when you lie."

"You've only known me for about a week," I pointed out, throwing myself back onto the bed and dramatically bouncing back up.

"I think that's long enough."

"I'm that easy to read?" I asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"Pretty much," he answered. "Now, what's on your mind?"

"I found my mate," I said quickly. He didn't it didn't register for a good second. When it did, his eyes went wide.

"You did?" He sat up straight and scooted himself closer to the edge of his bed, intrigued.

I nodded, a small smile making its way onto my face at the thought of him. "His name is Andrew," I said. "He works for the royal family."

"Are you staying here with him?" I didn't miss the hurt that underlined his words. I had just been reunited with my family and he's afraid I'll leave them so soon.

"No. I would never do that to you."

"If you want to, it's fine, you don't have to do it for us--" I cut him off before he could finish his sentence.

"I'm not just doing it for you," I said, standing up and walking over to his bed, sitting down next to him. "I'm doing it for me too." Rowan smiled, pleased with my answer. "Besides, I said I didn't like the idea of having someone chosen for us. I'm not giving into the bond so easily. I want to make sure what I feel and will continue to feel for him is real before I stay."

Rowan nodded, making me smile. I was grateful he listened to everything I had to say.

"I have the thing I wanted to give you," he said before standing up and going over to his pillow. He pulled something out from under it. It wasn't until he handed it to me that I saw what it was. "I wrote to you every day since we were fifteen." He flipped the journal open in my hand and started flipping through the pages. I caught glimpses of dates from two years ago.

"Woah," I said as I flipped the pages. He really didn't miss a single day. "You were committed to this." I looked up and noticed a small smile on Rowan's face.

"Of course I was. The hope that you will one day return to us and I would get to show you this kept me going."

I smiled and flipped through the pages until one in particular caught my eye.

Norah,

It's our seventeenth birthday. Another birthday that we won't get to spend together.

The truth is, I'm scared. I'm taking over the pack once we turn eighteen. I don't want to do it alone. I want you here to help me. I want you here so I can help you with anything you need. I don't know what I'll do if I have to do this alone.

I feel like I'm being selfish because you're probably out there somewhere, happy. You're probably with a family that treats you better than we could ever and all I want to do is take that away from you. But dammit, I want to be selfish right now. You belong here with us and I won't stop until you're back home.